Issue after removing dual boot linux

kasfig

Reaction score
Credits
Dear forum members
I have a Windows 10 PC and added ubuntu to dual boot from a partition on the same HDD.
Later I decided to remove it using the instructions
This included deleting the partition and fixing the boot manager using the command bootrec.exe /fixmbr
All is well now except for a little niggling matter:-
The ubuntu is supposed to be completely removed but in the BIOS startup screen one can still see reference to ubuntu (please see attached photo)
Please does anyone know (a) would this affect any future attempt to install linux and (b) is it possible to remove the reference in the bios to ubuntu

Attachments

• Camera1020_2020_08_02_17_50_18_991.jpg
    Camera1020_2020_08_02_17_50_18_991.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 218

You have to remove the Ubuntu entry from the UEFI Boot Manager. Under Linux this is done with the command efibootmgr. I have no idea how this is done under Windows, but I'm sure you will be able to find out how this is done under Windows yourself(google is your friend).

mm well IF you were on Linux it would be :

# efibootmgr -b 0004 -B

//where 0004 was an entry i wanted to get rid of yesterday and noted via
# efibootmgr -V

i've had a long day could it be done by booting a live Linux OS; at this point in time i have no idea either.

G'day kasfig, and Welcome to linux.org

Google is indeed your friend, and a search entitled "how to edit bios setup utility win 10" returned...

Whether you can edit what you need to edit there or not, I do not know......I do not own a win 10 machine to try this on.
I cannot imagine this would affect any future install. The Linux installer usually takes care of any little mess.

Your turn.

1) Go into command mode (run as administrator)
2) type bcdedit /enum firmware (space between enum and firmware
3)Now you'll see a list
4) To delete entries you don't want
type bcdedit delete identifier where the identifier is shown in your list. Include the curly braces { }

Good Stuff Old Tom Bombadil

....and Welcome to linux.org

Hi Everyone
Thank you for your kind help everyone and warm welcome to the group. Further to the advice given I tried the bcdedit (in windows powershell) but just could not get it to do the job. Something I was doing mustve been wrong
I then found out there are some "user friendly " windows apps to do the job such as easy bcd and visual bcd. Well I tried visual BCD first and saw the procedure to "delete ubuntu " line, and did so. However upon checking BIOS, I noted the Ubunu entry was still there. After this, trying "EasyBCD," I messed the system up being the clumsy oaf that I am and couldnt even boot up windows after that.
My eventual solution was to do a complete recovery by means of the windows system image that I had previously created using Easeus ToDo backup. It was to my relief that I found this was still possible, and furthermore, the original problematic "ubuntu" entry in the Boot file had disappeared as well. It is no more to be seen in the bios.
I hope this is helpful to someone the shared experience.
Best wishes and thanks Ian

lol....out of every disaster there is a positive !

That really does show the positive of having a BACKUP

Well done, Ian

Thanks for sharing the outcome

I hope you reinstall Linux at some stage (do you really need Windows ?)

Thank you Condo for your kind remarks. to be honest I havent really used linux before trying it just recently.
My problem started a few weeks ago when I upgraded from a Win 7 machine to a Win 10 machine. I realized my old HP color laserjet printer would not work on Windows 10. Try as I might I couldnt get it to work. But I didn't want to throw the old beast out as I have a good stock of printer cartridges.
A bit of googling was done and it said my model works under linux. Hence I decided to take the plunge and install ubuntu as a dual boot just for when I needed to do printing. And it worked fine too! It was just my reckless messing around with the system that messed it up that has forced me to start from scratch again (because I do have to do printing occasionally.)
I am just torn between going for dual boot again or, maybe , next time, just create a live linux USB drive for printing.