{SOLVED} Issue screen blacking out with MPV ONLY !!

Earthworm4478

Reaction score
Credits
I want to use MPV but cannot because the screen is being blacked out after 5 minutes. I have that set up in Power Management.
I do not have that issue with VLC.
Anyone has any workaround so MPV would behave as VLC ?

Last edited:

Were the repos updated and upgraded before the install of MPV?
Have you removed any other media players previously installed prior to upgrade?

@forester
The repos weren't upgraded/updated prior to installing.
I have removed once MPV to run a clean install of MPV but same issue.
@Tolkem I am using Arco Linux. Gnome using Wayland. mpv 0.34

Probably have the reason why MPV is dimming the screen

MPV Dimming

Disabling Screensaver​

By default, mpv tries to disable the OS screensaver during playback (only if a VO using the OS GUI API is active). --stop-screensaver=no disables this.

A common problem is that Linux desktop environments ignore the standard screensaver APIs on which mpv relies. In particular, mpv uses the Screen Saver extension (XSS) on X11, and the idle-inhibit protocol on Wayland.

GNOME in particular still ignores the idle-inhibit protocol, and has its own D-Bus interfaces for display power management, which mpv does not support.

Before mpv 0.33.0, the X11 backend ran xdg-screensaver reset in 10 second intervals when not paused in order to support screensaver inhibition in these environments. This functionality was removed in 0.33.0, but it is possible to call the xdg-screensaver command line program from a user script instead.

Don't know how to fix the issue though :D

I tried to use extensions such as caffein/espresso but then I have issue with suspend when I activate those xtensions. My rig never sleeps when those xtensions are ON.

VLC is looking pretty good...?

I have Arcolinux Xfce and Arcolinux Cinnamon in my stable. Both running under x11 (X.org).

On the Xfce I had to install mpv. I only have an audio CD from the car to use, and it plays fine and shows on the status bar but the rest of the windowed screen is black.

On the Cinnamon it was pre-installed, but also has Celluloid as a GTK frontend. Same appearance, same results in that it plays the music OK.

Have you taken a look yet at Erik Dubois' Arcolinux Forum? Might be something to be asked there.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Let the penguin march. Linux awesome sauce. Issue is resolved with 'mpv_inhibit_gnome' installation.
On arch easy install if you are using another distro, don't know if available.
Thanks guys for your replies..

Great news. :)

If you go to your first Post, you can edit it to put

[SOLVED]

at the start of your subject title.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

No members online now.