Issue with (x)Ubuntu 23.04

skris88

Reaction score
Credits
Hi

I cleaned my laptop drive of 22.04 and installed 23.04.

However there is no audio.

I am using a HDMI TV as the display - with sound.

While the HDMI port appears as a sound device in 22.04, it does not in 23.04

I've since reinstalled 22.04

In 22.04 the output device is displayed as GK107 HDMI Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI)

Any way to manually load this driver?

Neotech device info is as below...

Thanks!

Cheers
skris88

-----------------------
Host: Precision M4800 00
Kernel: 5.19.0-41-generic
Uptime: 2 days, 16 hours
Packages: 2105 (dpkg), 9 (snap)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
DE: Xfce 4.16
WM: Xfwm4
WM Theme: Greybird
Theme: Greybird [GTK2/3]
Icons: elementary-xfce-darker [GTK2/
Terminal: xfce4-terminal
Terminal Font: Monospace 12
CPU: Intel i7-4810MQ (8) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M
Memory: 3064MiB / 15900MiB

Sorry can't be of much help But I suspect the the problem lies in the fact that the Driver most likely has not been upgraded to work with the 23.04 kernel as yet. 22.03 comes with 6.2 kernel.

You can also run 'pavucontrol' in the terminal. Once that is open, check your playback devices and ensure HDMI is set instead of another outlet.

I do not use those interim distros they can be buggy and are not designed for everyday use - they are only good for about nine months then die no more updates

I do not use those interim distros they can be buggy and are not designed for everyday use - they are only good for about nine months then die no more updates
So you are saying you shouldn't use Fedora? I actually disagree went through 2 Fedora in place upgrades so far and it's been a smooth experience, I've heard it's gotten a lot better since somewhere around Fedora 20 or so.

I might make a suggestion.....

LM21.1

To throw some more info into the mix...

I speak only for Lubuntu. Upgrades are heavily tested. Will it upgrade from the last LTS? Will it upgrade from the most recent interim release?

This stuff gets heavily tested, as upgrade paths are often fraught with danger.

If you read the release notes, you'll see that this is usually not all that buggy or at least no more buggy.

But, I do that virtually. When it comes to real hardware, I only bother with LTS distro upgrades. I know that other paths are heavily tested (and I've been known to test them officially), but I seldom bother with interim releases.

Why this post?

To echo what has been said already and to share what I personally do.

Members online

Latest posts