It is ALIVE....

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
Well I got things done today, Saturday. Then decided to put together the PC. Got Win10 on the M.2 PCIE drive. System is running fine with the AMD CPU/GPU. So I did save from having to buy a Graphics card. Touch screen fan controller works and pretties up the case front. Running right now updating at around 72F.

Next Up I think Mint on the SATA drive. Initial boot after install from the M.2 actually surprises you. It takes about 15 seconds. So far see problems with Linux booting from M.2 PCIE.

The last PC I built still had IDE Drives. It has been a few years.

With M.2 could not install Mint with Windows without boot loader. So had to disconnect the M.2 then install Mint on a SATA then when I reinstalled the M.2 Changed to boot to SATA and yahoo, Mint is smarter then Win and Bios. I get a boot loader menu. So either OS. But just updated Mint and set some preferences.

Great news Mike, but why are you not telling us here?

I was thinking of posting the geek/nerding adventure of installing Linux with an M.2 PCIE bootable.

All I ever see is vids on gamers builds and Win on the PCIE or SATA M drives. Load Win and use other drives to store data, game files...blah blah blah. Never Install Linux.

Was gonna put MX as I am happy with the Install I did on a Laptop. With the M drive MX would not even run live, yet put the USB in my other desktop it loaded with the Install MX opt. Peppermint also had the same issue. Both distros gave a try, but would not continue, screen went blank.

Mint however ran live I clicked install and watched the screen, the issue seems that when an M2 is bootable with Win, the error was cannot continue with the install due to that state of the boot drive. Disabled it in Asus bios, rebooted, now the issue became could not put the bootloader onto the SATA even setting partitions, kept reverting to no bootable partition. Then I popped out the M2 installed Mint on the SATA and poof magic. Put the M drive back in, hit the button.

In Bios if I make the SATA drive the priority I get the Bootloader menu to run Mint, or Windows.

So now I have a stable Mint updated and Win if I have to. Extra storage drives, And the satisfaction of building my own again.

Members online