It was like $350 off the MSRP, I couldn't resist.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

It's well worth what I just paid for it. That's a great price!

I've been watching for a while, waiting for a decent buy. The main purpose of the laptop is actually to have $CURRENT_DATE hardware to test Lubuntu's daily images. So, I didn't necessarily buy it for me so much as I bought it for the project. It'll get used to install daily images and then to test them. Other than that, it'll sit idle.

I was hoping I'd get a good deal on a current extra laptop for testing purposes.

It was a good price, so I finally jumped on it. I've been looking for months.

That's a sweet laptop and the price was good.

Will you be keeping Windows 10?

That's a sweet laptop and the price was good.

Will you be keeping Windows 10?

No, it'll be exclusively used to test Lubuntu and nothing more than that.

The price is brilliant. I checked before pushing the buttons. So, it'll make a great testing laptop.

The laptop I'm using is a 'mobile workstation' and is better in very few ways. It has a lot more RAM than this new one, for example.

Update:

I should probably do a re-install so that I can video tape it. With the gobs of RAM, speedy CPU - and especially with the NVMe SSD (M.2), it took slightly less than 3 minutes from the minute I hit 'install' (after filling in all the information) and the minute it popped up saying that it was okay to reboot the laptop. Notably, this install did not include downloading and installing updates along with it and the data was already filled in (such as username and password), but that's significantly faster than my massive and much more expensive 'mobile workstation'.

From some additional poking, I've come to realize that it's the NVMe that makes all the difference. I used 'gnome-disk-utility' (formerly gnome-disks) to do drive benchmarks and it's just insane. This is in a laptop... A laptop!

This is my first experience with the NVMe M.2 SSDs and I am suitably impressed. If the longevity is any good, I will absolutely recommend it. In fact, even if the longevity isn't that good, I'll still recommend it. That's what backups are for.

Finally, Lubuntu just worked. I needed no additional drivers. Even the two-finger scrolling worked out of the box. The wireless worked out of the box. It's just Intel's UHD graphics, so I don't need any graphics drivers. I bought it as a test machine, but it may end up moving up the ladder in my computer hierarchy.

Members online

Latest posts