It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

There have been 20 votes so far and the distribution of votes is definitely now as I expected. The highest single category is (at this time) 15+ years of use.

If we break it roughly into 5 year segments, then the highest category would be 0 to 5 years. That's something I'd expect.

There have been 20 votes so far and the distribution of votes is definitely now as I expected. The highest single category is (at this time) 15+ years of use.

If we break it roughly into 5 year segments, then the highest category would be 0 to 5 years. That's something I'd expect.
This poll is starting to make me feel like a noob.

Last edited:
This poll is tarting to make me feel like a noob.

I too am in the 10 to 15 category.

I expected to be on the thin end of the bell curve.

Then again, it's heavily skewed by the people who respond and don't respond. So, I wouldn't consider it very scientific. Alas, I don't have a way to make everyone answer.

Any poll that is self-selected should be considered suspect. (A lesson that applies to so many other polls and how the general public interprets them.)

Although experience means more than years.

To touch on that, one of the things I regret is I spent my earlier Linux years learning to use various distros instead of really learning about Linux and the stuff that goes on under the hood. I hope that makes sense to other people, but that's the best way I can describe it.

I could have fudged mine a little because I acquired 3xCD of Mandrake Linux (from which OpenMandriva and Mageia forked) in 2002, but I did not know what to do with them and did not follow through.

It was not until 2010 that I actively began exploring Ubuntu, so I stuck with the truth :)

This poll is starting to make me feel like a noob.

Cheer up, there's 5 of us in 10 years+ and 6 in 15 years+, pretty close. And that is 52.4%, a bit of a drunken bell curve (but then the drinkers are in there).

David I have just checked and you have not put a life on the Poll ... and we are not "overly pinned" here - why don't we leave it open for an indeterminate time and see how the stats change?

Cheers all and Good Morning from DownUnder

Wiz

why don't we leave it open for an indeterminate time and see how the stats change?

That's what I was thinking. I went through and removed a stickied topic (maybe two) earlier today. This is one that I think would do well if it stuck around for a bit. Right now, we have but a mere 21 votes.

As mentioned above, this is just for fun. I'd not base any research on the results! Any self-selected poll is inherently biased, and just plain unscientific. That doesn't mean it's not interesting - it just means that the results will be skewed to those who respond and the folks who respond are likely that who hang out here often. Those who hang out here often are likely long-term users. In time, the poll may skew the other direction 'cause I stuck a link to it in my signature. ;-)

Make it a necessity of registering here...?

I'm not sure that the forum software would (easily) support that. I am sure that I can't implement anything like that with simple moderator permissions.

I am sure you are not polling out of sheer curiousity......so put the reasoning to Rob, showing that there is some significant advantage to be gained by knowing those results (with an increased input of course)

I am sure you are not polling out of sheer curiousity

No, no it's curiosity and I thought it might be fun while helping to build a stronger sense of community. I don't expect great accuracy or anything. It would be nice to have something more accurate.

I know some forums have extensions that force you to read a topic before you can participate...

Hmm...

I should check out a trial version of XenForo so that I can get more familiar with it.

I gave Windoze away in 2015 (Win7) to run Linux full-time and never looked back. :D

Paraphrasing yours, Sam

I gave Windoze away in 2014 (Win7) to run Linux full-time and never looked back. :D

Wiz

Ain't it grand?

The only thing I didn't like about Linux back then was the backup software, it sucked big time. :mad:

Hard to understand and it only backed up files and some software if you're lucky, I wanted to create a system image and there was nothing except clonezilla which is a nightmare at best. :eek:

Backing up files and software is no good it the HDD or SSD fails, then in 2016 I found I could use Macrium Free Rescue Media to create a system image which worked great and now I use both Macrium and Foxclone...happy days. :D

clearly shows the usefulness of this site. long time users are here
me, starting to learn just now, hope to get there as well
regards ,
wilfried

clearly shows the usefulness of this site. long time users are here

Indeed. At this time, there are now more people in the 0 to 5 year categories than any other category - which isn't a bad thing and is more likely closer to the truth over time.

The only thing I didn't like about Linux back then was the backup software, it sucked big time.

That's an idea for another thread sometime.

"How has Linux changed since you first started using it?"

@sam444 How is it possible to use Macrium free rescue media with Linux ?...and is it successful ?

Edited to Add :: All good....I found your answer HERE

Last edited:
"How has Linux changed since you first started using it?"

Linux Mint for me is now very stable (no freezing) as it once did long ago and always easy to use more so now.

The big changes I like is the addition of TimeShift some time ago, although not a backup tool as such, it comes in handy for minor problems.

Another is I can remove old Kernels two ways...through the Update Manager or Terminal but the best one is the removal of the Swap Partition and replaced with a 2GB Swap File. :D Up to the end of the Mint 18 series the installer would create a Swap Partition of 16GB because I have 16GB of Ram installed which is crazy as I don't need Swap at all. :rolleyes:

@sam444 How is it possible to use Macrium free rescue media with Linux ?...and is it successful ?

I use to use Macrium in Windoze for years, I would clone one Drive to another, that was until I found creating a System Image was much better.
When I switched to Linux, I found nothing would create a Image as I wanted. People on Forums said just re-install the Distro because it's easy...the problem with that is you still have to re-install everything else which takes a long time. :mad:

I wrote this Tutorial...https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1434480#p1434480 to help people coming from Windoze, I've used Macrium in Linux since 2016 and it's never failed me yet.
Back in 2019 I created an Image of my 500GB HDD and put it on my new 500GB SSD and it works just fine today.

I must say Foxclone is faster and easier to use than Macrium but people can use what ever they like.
Here are what the Images look like...
screenshot-8.png

screenshot-1.png

Members online