It's time for a poll. How long have you used Linux?

Yes, i didn't know its not free anymore. It is really EXPENSIVE. The Enterprise Insider lifetime license is $,5000 !!! However it seems it has hardware included, but the price still seems steep.

There's Freespire and Linspire is only $20.00.

Unless you're an enterprise that's installing Linspire on hundreds of desktops, you don't need an enterprise license. A lifetime license for a person is $151.

Yes, i noticed that. But while there are many free other choices for corporations, it seemed too high for me :)

I think I may have briefly played with Linspire many years ago, on a device that didn't belong to me.

I have zero opinion on the current stuff. I haven't even played with Freespire. So, I don't know if it's worth it. I know I've donated far more than that to projects I appreciated.

I came to Linux because I was having trouble with a Windoze computer that I had been gifted.It was the first computer I ever had (at the age of 50+) and set about teaching myself computing on it. Frightened by the expense to fix it when it developed a problem I put computing aside for a few years. A friend told me about Linux and gave me an installation disc for 'Ultimate Edition'2.7 along with advice on installing it.I didn't know what I was doing,and mostly still don't.I progressed to Linux Mint and as a basic home user Linux does everything I need it for,and I love it to bits.

I remember my first linux distribution was Caldera which I found included in a book. Great effort to configure the hardware ... 1998, 1999?

As far as I remember
2014 Android VNC Server and chroot. -> First meet.
2015 Kali Linux, -> I am hacker :D.
2017 elementaryOS,
2019 DeepinOS
2020 - now elementaryOS. -> GNU/Linux is very good.

Huh... We've had 243 people vote in this poll. That's way more than I anticipated. I'm pretty sure that's the most votes any poll has had (here, of course).

I kinda want to break it down a bit more, but it's way too late for that and would require several polls.

Now it has been longer than 2 years of frequent usage. My favorites so far have been mint and ubuntu, i now have Ubuntu Studio installed and have had mixed results with Fedora. Mint and Ubuntu take care of the average/basic computer needs in my experience just fine. Unfortunately i haven't really had the time to explore the full gammit of distros, there's an overwhelming array of stuff to break down.

Unfortunately i haven't really had the time to explore the full gammit of distros
well if you allow yourself 1 week per distribution, you should finish in about 14 years
GuksxMydCVPtOBFhKrhX.gif

take me to read every book in my house if i read them at 20 pages per day
HEHEHE...I have lots of books, all of which I have read over the years I can read though a normal paperback in a week.

I used to answer yes to the question..."Have you read all these books?" But lately I have been saying instead, "No, I am collecting the books I want to read, and will do so when I retire."

I read them all already.

I buy books I know darned well I'll never read. I have a bit of a library and frequent guests, so I figure someone might read them - or that I may get back into reading.

Oh, and tech books too... I must have five books on learning Python and have likely only flipped through one of them.

I buy books I know darned well I'll never read. I have a bit of a library and frequent guests, so I figure someone might read them - or that I may get back into reading.

Oh, and tech books too... I must have five books on learning Python and have likely only flipped through one of them.

With the tech books it's better not to just read them, but to be playing around with your computer at the same time. If you just read tech stuff, you'll just forget it later. I'm only 24 pages into the newest "The Linux Command Line" by william shotts, and i've learned so much more than what's the book.

If you just read tech stuff, you'll just forget it later.

Yeah, I read 'em when sitting at the computer and doing the exercises. I always end up doing something else after a while and never getting back to them. There are too many things vying for my time.

In the early days I used Linux for Dummies from the library and installed off the accompanying disk. Now you just download the iso.

Now it has been longer than 2 years of frequent usage. My favorites so far have been mint and ubuntu, i now have Ubuntu Studio installed and have had mixed results with Fedora. Mint and Ubuntu take care of the average/basic computer needs in my experience just fine. Unfortunately i haven't really had the time to explore the full gammit of distros, there's an overwhelming array of stuff to break down.

Mint and MX Linux for me.

Staff online