Java app in system tray

ParContre

Reaction score
Credits
I'm trying to put the icon for a java app into my system tray. The app is ThinkorSwim, which is the online trading platform for Charles Schwab/Ameritrade. Right now I have a functioning desktop icon that launches the app, and everything works fine. But I'd like to clean up my desktop and put the icon in my system tray. I have spent hours on this with no success. I'm obviously a novice on Linux, but for me using Linux is a political statement in opposition to big business and establishment monopolies. If I have to run a program to do this I can, but it really seems like there should be a simple and easy way to accomplish this.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Chances are that we're going to need to know your desktop environment.

I've seen instances where it's weirdly difficult to get a proper icon to show up, but that was back on LXDE.

OP
ParContre

ParContre

Reaction score
Credits
I'm running a System76 laptop which I bought brand new last spring. Here's the info I think you want, please let me know what else is needed.
OS name: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
OS type: 64-bit
Gnome version: 42.9
Windowing System: X11

MikeWalsh

Reaction score
Credits
We in the Puppy community figured out a way of doing this for Puppy using YAD (a fork of Zenity).......I run a ton of apps/utilities from the notification area myself. However, since Puppy uses the ROX-Filer file-manager and the JWM window manager - a long-standing combo peculiar to Puppy - and since I don't know the first thing about System76 OR Pop_OS!, and have absolutely no time for GNOME - this information would not, unfortunately, be of much use to you.

It's a shame I can't help. I will, however, wish you luck in your attempt.....

Mike. ;)

Staff online

Members online