Just booting linux on new computer

M

Mister Fox

I recently built a computer and I currently do not have windows yet (which I plan to install).
Can I just boot the new computer in linux without installing the linux OS?
If so, how? And would it work for all distros?

Just to clarify: you want Windows as your installed and working OS; but you would like to boot with Linux without having to install it?

How about making a Linux booting USB stick (most distros have this option) and boot from that?

Just to clarify: you want Windows as your installed and working OS; but you would like to boot with Linux without having to install it?

No, I currently have NO operating system, and I am getting Windows next week. I would like to be able to use my computer before then, so can I just boot my computer in Linux without installing linux on my computer?

Sure, just get it installed on something that is bootable. It does not have to be something on your computer. (For example, a USB stick as mentioned.)

Suggest going to http://puppylinux.org/ and reading up; Slacko is a good one to download and burn to a CD on another computer so you are able to boot to it (modify BIOS boot order); put in a small USB stick to save config and other files to, if desired.

Cheers!

BTW, why use windows?

I just successfully live booted Zorin OS from a dvd (it's not bootable usb compatible). Zorin is the linux distro that is meant to emulate windows (looks like windows, has WINE, ect).

And I use windows because it's mainstream, which allows it to be the first OS people develop for (usually). Since most people use windows, there are compatibility problems when editing jointly or sending files to each other. If more people used linux, this would not be a problem.

The problem is that the crossing of windows and linux is not complete. WINE can replicate 90% of the windows API, so there are a few program that will only work for windows. Windows makes using a computer easy, while Linux (while vastly more user-defined and customizable) is complicated to a windows user (like me). And yes, M$ is a problem, as it will always be. Even if you use linux, the only program that can open .docx files and edit them correctly every time is MS Word.

Just be aware that your computer will likely run slower when booted from a live CD. Why not just install Zorin, then when you get Windows, install over it? It would make your computer run a lot faster.

Or, use a Linux distro that is made to run well from a CD, like puppy.

Members online