Just in case I can't setup Latest Linux Mint distro to my statisfaction.

vanmol

Reaction score
Credits
Looking for the best method to install another Linux distro over the existing version. I have seen three options so far. #1--seems the easiest, just install to the already existing partitions. #2--suggests that the partition contents be deleted (root partition formatted) and then install the new version. #3--Partition should be deleted and resized before install. Any suggestions?

if you haven't got anything important stored in the current distro, the easiest way a fresh install wiping all files and folders if your running a duel boot and your harddrive is big enough you could fresh install alongside the existing ones

Yep I agree with brickwizard - wipe the drive completely and start over

then i would multi boot if the harddrive is big enough

Not stating that I am dual booting with Win 10 was a mistake on my part. If you would, please restate how I can install another version of Linux on the same partitions that hold Linux mint. By searching, I have come across a couple of ideas but not comfortable trying them yet as in the past I have deleted the partitions without reinstalled Windows boot loader( didn't know ) and ended up starting from scratch with new windows install.

Which Distro are you thinking of replacing mint with? Most of Today's distros allow you to choose which partition you want to format and install to. So that should not be a problem. Problem comes in when the boot loader is installed It sometimes does not pick up your windows partition. Good Luck.

Yes, several years ago I ran into that problem after deleting the Linux partitions and don't want to go there again. I had to start from scratch and reinstall windows. I am thinking of trying Manjaro XFCE but won't mess with it until I am confident with installing it over Linux mint. I will continue to search for pictured tutorials on the web. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, several years ago I ran into that problem after deleting the Linux partitions and don't want to go there again. I had to start from scratch and reinstall windows. I am thinking of trying Manjaro XFCE but won't mess with it until I am confident with installing it over Linux mint. I will continue to search for pictured tutorials on the web. Thanks for your reply.
You should have no problem with Manjaro as long as you specify the partitions for it to use. But as always back up important data, things do happen. :)

Members online