Just need to remove GRUB and go back to Windows boot loader

1971robby

Reaction score
Credits
Dell 5755 laptop, so here goes. Many years ago I was actually triple booting this machine between W10, Ubuntu ??? and another Linux distro that escapes my memory at the moment. So anyway I get a new laptop passing this one down to my wife who rarely uses a computer, and I set the GRUB to automatically boot Windows. This works for a while no issue. Then I have to replace the hard drive because of a failure. Since my wife is using it, and can barely work Windows which she uses at work, I only reinstall windows which uses the existing Windows key to validate.

But now, the BIOS is still using the GRUB, which does the job fine except you either have to wait 30 seconds for it to auto choose Windows, or choose manually. and I am unable to remember how to either go back to the Windows boot loader, or even change the time limit of GRUB to either 0 or 1 seconds.

Again, since Linux is no longer installed how do I manage to change things so that she doesn't have to wait or choose Windows which is the only existing OS on the machine? I don't care if I use Windows or Grub, I just need to make it match what is actually happening on the machine. I know the Linux community, and I know they are light years better than the Windows community when it comes to knowledge, and actually being willing to help, so I came here instead of going there. I wish I still had time to work with Linux, at one time I had 5 distro's installed on one machine to see what I preferred, I don't think I ever decided they are all so good. But I have no choice but use Windows for a lot of things, company software that will only work with Windows, Anyway, I'll shut up now, sorry for being long winded, thank you in advance for the help.

G'day robby, Welcome to linux.org

Care to share what you found ?

G'day robby, Welcome to linux.org

Care to share what you found ?
I should have said that I found this thanks to arochester it was in one of the links he/she sent me. I'm not sure about site rules on outside links, so I hope this is ok, if not I'll be glad to remove it, or the mods can delete this and I'll try again. This was on Ask Ubuntu, I did searches there before coming here, and my searches returned unuseable information, I don't know how I missed this post then. It's kind of a long process, so I'll just leave the link for now.

Thanks for the interest.

Grub is written on a tiny section of the Hard Disk, called the Master Boot Record (MBR).

You need to "fix" the MBR.

You might try searching: Windows 10 fix MBR.

Look here:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mbr-windows-guide/
https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/
https://pureinfotech.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows-10/

I commented and said I found what I needed, but I really should have replied here and said I found my answer within one of the links you provided. Thanks for the help,

Members online