K3B cd/dvd burner

robert1305

Reaction score
Credits
I have used this burner for many a year, but since re-installing mint 18.3 the program will not overwrite any r/w cd or dvd when trying to put a new iso over an old one.
Hope someone can help cos I have dozens of re-write disks that have been used and the data on them is no longer needed.
Alternatively if someone can suggest a burner program that works OK for them I would be obliged for any suggestions.

Regards Bob

G'day Bob, and Welcome to linux.org

I haven't used a burner program with cd's or dvd's for years, so am a bit stumped.

Have you tried Brasero ? You should find it in software manager

Just a thought......which kernel reinstalled with LM 18.3 ?.....and do you recollect which kernel was there before the reinstall?

Why did you need to reinstall?.....Do you use Timeshift ?

I have used this burner for many a year, but since re-installing mint 18.3 the program will not overwrite any r/w cd or dvd when trying to put a new iso over an old one.
Hope someone can help cos I have dozens of re-write disks that have been used and the data on them is no longer needed.
Alternatively if someone can suggest a burner program that works OK for them I would be obliged for any suggestions.

Regards Bob
It just so happens I still like using optical media AND K3b AND I have a R/W DVD handy :)
I am burning an image to it now (manjaro-kde-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso) and will try to overwrite it when it is done. Will report back with what I find out.

Update:
I hate to say this because I realize it is not really helpful for someone to say "it works for me!" - but- it works for me. :rolleyes: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I loaded a new blank DVD R/W - opened K3b - and burned a Manjaro .iso.
Then, when it was done (successfully), I put the DVD back in and told K3b to format and re-write the disc with a Zorin .iso. K3b informed me that there was no need to format again as it only needs to be formatted one time and I could just overwrite the disc. So I say O.K. - go for it. Wrote the disc with the Zorin .iso and checked to see if it wrote successfully. It did.

I am running Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon with kernel 4.15.0-66-generic.

If K3b has been working for you previously then there would seem to be only a few likely 'culprits'.
1) Some kind of file system corruption. A K3b file may be corrupted. Seems unlikely unless there are other symptoms of file system corruption.
2) A 'recent' update has caused issues. This may be harder to track down unless you can 'roll-back' your machine. A possibility.
3) Worn out optical media. I know CD and DVD R/W media have a finite number of read/write cycles. Very possible.

Does K3b throw up any kind of error message?

P.S. Possibly the optical drive itself is having a problem?

Last edited:
Free to good home:
Freshly burned Zorin-OS-15.1-Core-64-bit-r1.iso (2.1 GiB) DVD R/W.
Seriously. I will mail it to anyone that wants it :)
Merry Christmas.

Members online

Latest posts