Kali Linux- can't change folder icons! Arrrghhh

jeffjot

Reaction score
Credits
Hello All,

I've had Kali Linux for quite some time now, 2022.1. But I have never been able to figure out how to change folder icons on the desktop.
In most Linux operating systems you right click a desktop folder, left-click Properties and then double left click the folder icon. It usually then allows you to pick a different icon picture.
Mine does nothing of the sort. Ive tried looking this up online and these are the exact instructions, but they don't work with my system.
Anybody know what is going on, or how this is done? Do I need an update or custom module installed? Its seems a rather basic feature, but having tons of folders on my desktop I'd like them not to look all identical.
Thanks!

It looks like the problem is I have "Thunar" preloaded as my file manager, and all that allows you to do is add little emblems to file icons, not change them.

How do I dump this chumpy File Manger, and get something better? I'd also like to change icon sizes individually like I can do on Manjaro. Anyone???

The solution is either to change to Nautilus, which I can't figure out how to do yet, or this workaround I found online:

>>>>
The best workaround is to create the desired "launcher" on the desktop in application launcher you can set a custom icon, even pick a file from your own collection.
The command of the launcher should be set to thunar <desired directory>
Then cut + paste the launcher to the desired location.
>>>>

This is a bit of a pain because you have to keep a subfolder with the actual desktop folders, and to drag and drop things into a desktop folder with a picture you have to open it first. But it works

Last edited:
You can install nautilus with terminal, "sudo apt install nautilus"

Kali's default Desktop is GNOME, and GNOME's default FM (File Manager) is Nautilus, it should already be installed. Did you change it to Thunar?

Wizard

Do you want to change only one particular folder or the whole lot? You can do that with an icon theme..

It looks like the problem is I have "Thunar" preloaded as my file manager, and all that allows you to do is add little emblems to file icons, not change them.

How do I dump this chumpy File Manger, and get something better? I'd also like to change icon sizes individually like I can do on Manjaro. Anyone???
You're probably gonna figure out that thunar is actually pretty good, especially in xfce. It's not perfect but its better than most.

How do I dump this chumpy File Manger, and get something better? I'd also like to change icon sizes individually like I can do on Manjaro. Anyone??
Are talking about desktop icons or your folders in file manager? You can switch file managers but be aware that it's not simple plug and play. There's not anything much better than Thunar. I've used Kali awhile too, in fact it was called Backtrack when I started. Is is Thunar or the linux file system that has you frustrated. All file managers are going follow the same basic principals because it based on linux, not the file manager. I agree, thunar has it's flaws, the archive feature is not very user friendly and seems to not do certain things by default that maybe it should.
Kali's default Desktop is GNOME, and GNOME's default FM (File Manager) is Nautilus, it should already be installed. Did you change it to Thunar?

Wizard
Kali's default is xfce. But you can choose to load KDE and Gnome during installation if you choose but if you do nothing it will load xfce4. I haven't tried it but I'm fairly certain you can download and make any file manager the default but it doesn't just switch all your files over automatically. Also keep in mind that Kali follows their own file hierarchy system. This should help explain.

Kali's default install.

Attachments

• kali.png
    kali.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 131

Members online

Latest posts