Kali linux completely Freezing

yahiabsk

Reaction score
Credits
Hi linux community,
I have a problem with my kali linux, actually it's a very bad problem, and i didn't find any solution about it at all.
The Problem is the kali linux after some time from starting using it (like 20min or more) it just gets freezing, and i mean completely stop working, the monitor, the keyboard, the mouse, avery things, and there is no solution but only turn off the laptop and start it again, even the cpu usage was not over 15% and the ram not over 1gb, i mean it's workiny freely and very cool performance.
I don't know the real problem of this or the solution at least..
And thanks alot.

Last edited:

Moved to the Kali sub-forum, where Kali questions belong.

It would be helpful to give us some more info on your system. Kali is not a good Distro for new users even their web pages tells you it for experienced users. But what is your machine? What graphics card? Make model etc?

If you are unfamiliar with Linux generally, if you do not have at least a basic level of competence in administering a system, if you are looking for a Linux distribution to use as a learning tool to get to know your way around Linux, or if you want a distro that you can use as a general purpose desktop installation, Kali Linux is probably not what you are looking for. -- Kali Linux documentation.

It would be helpful to give us some more info on your system. Kali is not a good Distro for new users even their web pages tells you it for experienced users. But what is your machine? What graphics card? Make model etc?
My laptop:
proc: i5-1135g7
graphic card: iris xe
ssd: 512gb
ram: 8g 3200mhz
my kali linux is installed in the ssd, (dual boot with my win10)

there has been graphics problems with Kali and the Gnome shell which should have been fixed if you're using Kali 2022-1 or higher
however there may be other complications, first you machine looks very recent , there is a possibility that the correct drivers for some components may not be available,
and as @kc1di said if you do not have experience in using Linux and are fully conversant with the use the command line and the standard codes, you should not even be attempting to use Kali

One of the most common causes of Kali Linux freezing is incorrect system permissions. This usually occurs when you have installed Kali Linux onto a system that already has another operating system installed. If this is the case, then you will need to ensure that the permissions for the Kali Linux installation are set correctly.
Another common cause of Kali Linux freezing is an issue with the graphics drivers. If you are using an older version of Kali Linux, then it is likely that your graphics drivers are not compatible with the latest version of the operating system. In order to fix this issue, you will need to update your graphics drivers.
If you are still having problems with Kali Linux freezing, then you may need to reinstall the operating system. This is a last resort, but it is often the only way to fix the problem.

One of the most common causes of Kali Linux freezing is incorrect system permissions. This usually occurs when you have installed Kali Linux onto a system that already has another operating system installed. If this is the case, then you will need to ensure that the permissions for the Kali Linux installation are set correctly.
Another common cause of Kali Linux freezing is an issue with the graphics drivers. If you are using an older version of Kali Linux, then it is likely that your graphics drivers are not compatible with the latest version of the operating system. In order to fix this issue, you will need to update your graphics drivers.
If you are still having problems with Kali Linux freezing, then you may need to reinstall the operating system. This is a last resort, but it is often the only way to fix the problem.
Hi Lord Boltar, i am sure that i have the same problem and it is because i have a windows with bitlocker in other partitions, what kind of system permissions do i need to fix this??

If you are referring to dual booting with bitlocker enabled Windows and Kali - I would first make a backup of your bitlocker key - then disable bitlocker then reboot into Kali and see if the freeze persists, if it does then you will know it is not bitlocker causing the issue

I'm a Software Engineer and Ethical Hacking student and I Installed Kali Linux for my projects and practice but I'm getting this Kali freezing issue and I don't know what to do now. I thought it was because of insufficient memory but I have 710.9 GB/982.3 GB which is only 271.4 GB used from 982.3, 4GB of RAM and OS is updated. I see no problem with my PC.

Welcome to the forums,
Are you dual booting, using a virtual machine, a "live" pen-drive, or have you installed solo to the Hard-drive ?
if dual booting with windows, have you checked @Lord Boltar 's suggestion?
Have you checked for the correct graphic drivers on your Kali installation? [from the terminal run inxi -G ]

@TuxBot would you like to add your thoughts on @Hackersixty6 post?
Sure! @Hackersixty6, in addition to the suggestions given by @kc1di, make sure to check your system resources such as CPU and RAM usage. You can use the htop command to display system resource usage in real-time. It's possible that some software is consuming too much system resources, causing the system to freeze. You may also want to check for any error messages in the system logs that can help identify the cause of the issue. Lastly, make sure that your Kali Linux installation is up-to-date with the latest version, and all packages are updated.

Came across this thread while doing a Google search, as I had recently experienced a similar issue on my MSI laptop (4.6Ghz CPU, 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD) running Kali Linux 2023.2 on VirtualBox 7.0. I would start up Kali and not touch it for about 3-5 mins, when it would suddenly freeze. The CPU and Network Monitor in Kali would be completely still, not showing any activity. Therefore, I knew that Kali was frozen.

I had the Kali VM running on a second monitor, in Full-screen mode. When I exited Full-screen mode, suddenly Kali was active again. I was able to click on items and the CPU and Network Monitor were also active again. Weird.

Not sure why it's doing that, but I felt that I should share my experience here in the event someone having the issue may be running Kali in a VirtualBox VM. The issue "could" be related to video drivers, as I know that I had updated them on my laptop (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) about 3 days prior to the issue, as I never had any issues with Kali and I've been running it in a VM for several months now.

I hope this helps someone. Good Luck!

--Cf

Members online

Latest posts