Kali Linux high cpu usage

JAGHERMEISTER

Credits
Hello everyone!

I'm having this problem with kali linux that i installed on my laptop.
The problem is that sometimes (not always), after a while of usage, Kali slows down so much the whole system is barely usable.
Everything becomes laggy. Switching between tabs on the Firefox Browser has a lot of lag.
The Terminal becomes laggy, typing commands and typing in general, is getting slow.
A reboot always fixes the problem.

Like i said thankfully it doesn't always happen.
My laptop is fast enough to run Kali. I dont know why or when it starts to happen.
It seems to slow down suddenly and occasionally.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L875D-10N

CPU : AMD A8-4500M Quad Core 1,9GHz ( 2,8GHz max with turbo )
RAM : 6GB DDR3

I installed the 64bit version from kali.org using a USB stick.
There were no problems installing Kali.

I think the problem must be related to the CPU.

When typing in the htop command, i've noticed some strange output.
Normally when the problem occurs, one of the four CPU/Cores seems to do all the work :

HTOP5.png

As you can see, number 3 is working at it's maximum while the other 3 aren't working as much.

Another example when the problem occurred. ( This time it was Core number 0 doing all the work ) :

HTOP.png

Did any of you guys had the same problem? Does anyone knows how to fix this?
I'm not a beginner linux user anymore but i don't consider myself an expert either.

Any help will be much appreciated!

JAGHERMEISTER

Last edited:

JAGHERMEISTER

Credits
Looks like, in the first case kazam (what ever that is) and in the second case qterminal, are pushing your cpu to its limits.
Yes, but the point is that the 4 CPU's dont work together as they should (when the problem occurs).
Kazam is a program which allows you to take screenshots or record your screen.

Last edited:

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Moving this to Kali subforum, where it should be.

Good luck.

Note change of venue @Peer , @captain-sensible

Wizard

Peer

Credits
Yes, but the point is that the 4 CPU's dont work together as they should (when the problem occurs).
Kazam is a program which allows you to take screenshots or record you screen.
Most applications are not able to utilize all of your cpu cores, the most ones are only able utilize one core. That's the nature of most programms and programming languages and is completely normal.

JAGHERMEISTER

Credits
Moving this to Kali subforum, where it should be.

Good luck.

Note change of venue @Peer , @captain-sensible

Wizard
Allright thank you!

Most applications are not able to utilize all of your cpu cores, the most ones are only able utilize one core. That's the nature of most programms and programming languages and is completely normal.
Thanks for your response!

Mmm.. Well, it's strange that normally, it just runs smooth, and the 4 cores are working together just fine, as seen in the following example :

HTOP4.png

Here is was running multiple 4K videos on youtube to test the performance, and it just works fine, without lag (as it should).

Oh and by the way when the problem occurs, even if i close ALL applications, the system is still slow and laggy and the only way to fix the problem is to reboot Kali.

Last edited:

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Try installing a stress test tool on your machine and then run a stress test on all 4 cores of your CPU, usually those are written with multi-core support. If that results in fairly even results then the programs you are having problems with don't utilize the CPU cores as well as a stresser does. Also I read somewhere that Firefox creates a new process for each tab and and even some videos are run in a separate process so that probably gets divided over the CPU cores more evenly when running a video through Firefox.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online

Latest posts