Kali Linux in HP Omen 16-c0045ns

pozo85

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys! I hope somebody in this chat can help me with this problem that produce me headache.

I bought the computer HP Omen 16-c0045ns and I am trying to install Kali Linux or at least to load Kali Linux from a live-usb.

When I complete the installation. I reboot the computer, and in the grub I select Kali Linux, and then, a few propmt commands, the graphic interface doesn't load and the computer reboot itself.

If I try to boot Kali in a live-usb, I select the option Kali Linux live and then is loading for an instant the graphic interface and then, the computer reboot itself.

What is the problem?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the forums
Let's start with Kali, unless you have a good knowledge of how Linux works and are fully competent with the use of the terminal and the main instructions, then Kali is not for you, it is not built for the beginner, but designed in such a way if you don't know how Linux works, where to find and download and install any drivers you need using the terminal your not ready,

if you are new to Kali than this is an important read

Oh, and by your basic description of your problem, It looks like you may have either the wrong or missing graphic drivers, or possibly a corrupt install medium

Addendum, Please also read the following from the official Kali documentation

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums
Let's start with Kali, unless you have a good knowledge of how Linux works and are fully competent with the use of the terminal and the main instructions, then Kali is not for you, it is not built for the beginner, but designed in such a way if you don't know how Linux works, where to find and download and install any drivers you need using the terminal your not ready,

if you are new to Kali than this is an important read

Oh, and by your basic description of your problem, It looks like you may have either the wrong or missing graphic drivers, or possibly a corrupt install medium

Addendum, Please also read the following from the official Kali documentation
I have been using Ubuntu much time ago and I know how to make live-usb and how to use the console. But, I have tested Ubuntu in my computer and I have the same problem.
I have nVidia rtx3070 and AMD graphics vega which is including in my motherboard.

In addition, what you have is the latest HP gaming laptop, with the Ryzen processor with on board graphics, the graphic drivers should be available in the latest releases with newer kernels examples, MX-21, Peppermint 11, Mint LMDE-5

In addition, what you have is the latest HP gaming laptop, with the Ryzen processor with on board graphics, the graphic drivers should be available in the latest releases with newer kernels examples, MX-21, Peppermint 11, Mint LMDE-5
Do you mean that I should wait to the next version of kernel?

No, but if you're using it as a gaming machine Kali will be no good as it won't have the necessary dependencies, and you are unlikely to be able to install them. The latest kernels should be in the distributions I have mentioned

No, but if you're using it as a gaming machine Kali will be no good as it won't have the necessary dependencies, and you are unlikely to be able to install them. The latest kernels should be in the distributions I have mentioned
I don't want to use this machine for gaming with kali linux, for that propose I have Windows installed. I would like to use Kali Linux to learn about etical hacking.

Then you had better re-read the links I gave you, and my original post,, you need at least 2 years experience of using desktop Linux, and to learn all the basic terminal commands, before you will be ready to move to Kali, If you install almost any Linux desktop version [that will run on your machine] you will be able to install the pen-testing tools to that distribution,
Kali is not the be all and end all testing distribution, there are at least 6 others I can think of, one I use myself as a desktop [but not pen-testing] is Parrot, the membership is mainly programmers, security experts, and the like, But like Kali they don't take to Bare beginners favourably, If you install the testing tool and start playing without the necessary experience/knowledge you are more than likely to bulk your computer,
None of the testing distribution official forums will help the novice with questions such as my wi-fi won't work, how do I install graphic drivers Etc, they will just see you as someone who doesn't have enough experience

I am sorry if you think I am being sharp with you, but that's the way it is.

edit.. Professional testers will use either a live pen-drive or a VM not a full installation

I am not here to know what kind of Linux is better for me, I am here because I can't install any debian distro. I have the same problem with Ubuntu.
And I have a live-usb too with the same problem.
And how novel people is going to learn about linux?

If you put dragons for logo, kids will try to install it, cause and effect

I have managed to fix the problem with the last post from @forester, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I didn't know anything about this problem because in my last computer I didn't have that issue.

Thanks @Brickwizard for your advices and your patient, and I'm going to follow your advice and I'm going come back to Ubuntu.
Although finally I have managed to install Kali, I have seen that I need a refresh of my few knowledges about Linux.

Glad it worked!

Installing the run file won't survive a kernel update, the better way to go would have been to install "nvidia-detect". Afterwards you can run it and it would tell you which driver to install, which would probably be the "nvidia-driver(or the nvidia-kernel-dkms) package" which will survive kernel updates.

$ lsb_release -c
Codename: kali-rolling

$ dpkg --list | grep nvidia-driver
ii nvidia-driver 470.103.01-3 amd64 NVIDIA metapackage
ii nvidia-driver-bin 470.103.01-3 amd64 NVIDIA driver support binaries
ii nvidia-driver-libs:amd64 470.103.01-3 amd64 NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries)
The 470 driver should work for your RTX 3060 as well, if the graphical login screen won't load you can access the virtual console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1..f12. Then you can login with your normal user and install the needed packages.

Last edited:

Members online