Kali Linux Revealed - free ebook

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Credits
If you are looking to get more familiar with Kali Linux, I'd recommend you take advantage of this free Kali Linux ebook.

It goes over acquiring, installing and using Kali Linux from an operations standpoint - it does not go into any detail on the security tools included.

I feel too many people jump into Kali Linux for the tools, but most of them fall short because they don't take the time to learn the basics first.

Link: https://kali.training/downloads/Kali-Linux-Revealed-1st-edition.pdf

well you know i've been thinking and have a problem with beginners choosing kali; the thing is if you have a web site you take objection someone trying to hack it. At least with seasoned Linux users they know what they are doing. For those that don't its a potential harmful weapon in the hands that do not know what they are doing. Thus for me i have decided not to help out any noob having problems with kali

@Rob @captain-sensible @wizardfromoz
As "Dirty Harry" said one time - "A man's got to know his limitations!"
As I see Linux; it's a progressive learning experience.
1. Crawl.
2. Walk.
3. Run.
4. Ride a bike.
5. Put a motor on the bike.
6. Drive a go-cart.
7. Drive a car.
And so on and so on.
I'm still in the crawl stage, maybe bumping into the walk stage a little. If able I will get to the Run stage. If that happens, then we'll re-set goals.
Old Geezer
TC

i always thought his catch phrase was " i'm holding a magnam, has it got any rounds left? well do you feel lucky punk, do yer ? "

when i first looked at Linux it was from a benign stand point of I'm frustrated that with Windows every time i progress I have to buy some new program so that I can carry on learning. So when i was looking at web i had to buy "cuteFTP" Linux certainly slackware has a bottomless resource of software for everything you could possibly need all free such as at slackbuilds.org maintained by basically volunteers.
I just can't square up the motivation and choice by noobs for kali

Ive noticed a lot of people online talking about "learning kali linux" and offering courses on "kali linux"like kali is something seperate to learn from all the other linux distributions that needs to be learned. I think somebody would benefit more installing mint or ubuntu and then learning how a linux system works, its file hierarchy, then learn how networking works, and as one begins to learn networking then one can explore various networking tools like nmap and wireshark ect, and installing them from the repositorys. Kali linux with its 300 strong or more hacking tools pre installed is overkill anyways , even experienced pent-testers supposedly ususally only use a handful of the 300 or so tools regularly. As somebody new to linux theres no point having 300 or so programs that you have no idea what they do! Surely its better to learn slowly as you go about different networking tools and slowly build your own program package.

The only good thing about the whole situation is that at least if somebody who is wanting to cause harm or use kali's tools for "black hat" purposes, then there is a steep learning curve to learning how to use a majority of kali's tools as a beginner. Jummping straight into kali or linux's commandine isnt the easiest task. This is good becuase hopefully it will prevent some people from using the distro for "evil means".

Ive noticed a lot of people online talking about "learning kali linux" and offering courses on "kali linux"like kali is something seperate to learn from all the other linux distributions that needs to be learned. I think somebody would benefit more installing mint or ubuntu and then learning how a linux system works, its file hierarchy, then learn how networking works, and as one begins to learn networking then one can explore various networking tools like nmap and wireshark ect, and installing them from the repositorys. Kali linux with its 300 strong or more hacking tools pre installed is overkill anyways , even experienced pent-testers supposedly ususally only use a handful of the 300 or so tools regularly. As somebody new to linux theres no point having 300 or so programs that you have no idea what they do! Surely its better to learn slowly as you go about different networking tools and slowly build your own program package.

The only good thing about the whole situation is that at least if somebody who is wanting to cause harm or use kali's tools for "black hat" purposes, then there is a steep learning curve to learning how to use a majority of kali's tools as a beginner. Jummping straight into kali or linux's commandine isnt the easiest task. This is good becuase hopefully it will prevent some people from using the distro for "evil means".
There are plenty of "Script Kiddies" around.

There are plenty of "Script Kiddies" around.

Im currently taking a cyber security course and the course made mention that 95% of Hackers are not very skilled, they are basically script kiddies who use other people sotwares/malwares and hacking tools- these script kiddies although not very skilled are still dangerous and not to be underestimated. However the other 5% of hackers who are "skilled" are absolute masters of netoworking, technologies,programming and operating systems- these are the kind that never get caught because they understand the methods which law enforcement use to catch them. They understand and know how to mitigate data forensics, they write theyre own hacking tools and sell them to less skilled hackers on the dark web and other shady IRC hacker channels, these are also the kind that do big hacks and obtain huge amounts of personal data(credit cards ect) and sell them also via dark web to petty criminals and crooks.

If you are looking to get more familiar with Kali Linux, I'd recommend you take advantage of this free Kali Linux ebook.

It goes over acquiring, installing and using Kali Linux from an operations standpoint - it does not go into any detail on the security tools included.

I feel too many people jump into Kali Linux for the tools, but most of them fall short because they don't take the time to learn the basics first.

a useful suggestion Rob..

Rob, awesome, thanks! Even I've been reading it already but only physical book, the first years when it was publishing, anyway thanks for this ebook. It always have tips and useful additional hints for a user, and specific ways how to solve any kind of problem. A whole chapter "Securing and monitoring" is a main reason I was reading it...

Last edited:

Thank you.

well you know i've been thinking and have a problem with beginners choosing kali; the thing is if you have a web site you take objection someone trying to hack it. At least with seasoned Linux users they know what they are doing. For those that don't its a potential harmful weapon in the hands that do not know what they are doing. Thus for me i have decided not to help out any noob having problems with kali
you suck dude

Why does Cap suck - what he said could be absolutely true in some cases - like giving a 3 year old firecrackers....... so I suck too oh well - there is worse things Dude!:p

well i changed my view somewhat anyway. Plus I have since then responded +vely to kali user posts. But my mood does does change currently it sort of fluctuates between cocky and depressed. Mind you if kali users were really clever they would cloak there text and maybe make out they had a problem with a "Debian" based OS . Then we would just respond with out even knowing they were using Kali

Linux basics for hackers is actually not a bad book.

Last edited:
where's your
@Rob @captain-sensible @wizardfromoz
As "Dirty Harry" said one time - "A man's got to know his limitations!"
As I see Linux; it's a progressive learning experience.
1. Crawl.
2. Walk.
3. Run.
4. Ride a bike.
5. Put a motor on the bike.
6. Drive a go-cart.
7. Drive a car.
And so on and so on.
I'm still in the crawl stage, maybe bumping into the walk stage a little. If able I will get to the Run stage. If that happens, then we'll re-set goals.
Old Geezer
TC
wherr's your parachute out of an airplane riding a Harley Davidson ?

well i will hand you an Olive branch . The way things work here is that users help each other , are you Ok with that

That olive branch deserves a response.......I await that response with bated breath.

Members online