kali stuck during boot.

kobotecnico

Reaction score
Credits
I have this old laptop that i havent use in a while with dual boot windows 7 / kali linux. The problem is that i tried to update since it was the kali linux version from 2016. I had an error during the installation of some packages, so i decided maybe with a reboot the errors might not show up again. When i try to boot like normal, instead of getting the normal GUI for my login i get the non-gui version, i try to log in but it comes up with this error:

Code:
uname: loadlocale.c:129: _nl_intern_locale_data: Assertion \cnt < (sizeof (_nl_value_type_LC_TIME) / sizeof (_nl_value_type_LC_TIME[0]))´ falied.

Ive looked through other posts and most of them talk about entering in recovery mode and then try to update from there, the problem for me is once I try to boot in recovery mode i also get and error that does not let me login either, im not sure if its an error, but it seems to get stuck at this point:

Code:
[dmr] Initialized radeon 2.43.0 20080528 for 0000:00:01.0 on minor 0

Is there a way to fix this or to get into the system? or should i just delete this partition and then re-install the dual boot again with a newer iso from kali ?

It could be an issue with major changes between the 2016 Kali's Debian base and the the current 2019 version of Kali's Debian base. I doubt that it updated along an update path and just updated straight to the latest and greatest. This could have dropped or changed some system/kernel level variables. From the error you provided I found a fix that was used on a Debian system to fix the issue. https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/444102/loadlocale-c-nl-intern-locale-data-assertion-error

You can always re-install over the partition/s, that is my preferred method and will be a lot cleaner as far as packages and tools are concerned. You can always recover data from your previous install with the bootable media if there is something you want to keep.

Members online

Latest posts