KDE Compositor is driving me insane

bonkmaykr

Reaction score
Credits
I'm sure alot of you fellow Plasma users are already aware, but KDE has a bit of a problem.

The compsitor is buggy as all hell.

First of all, it's not entirely compatible with the official Geforce drivers, and it crashes. A lot. I'm letting this one go since it's not KDE's fault, NVIDIA won't release the source for their drivers and until they do, life will always be less convenient for NVIDIA users, for this reason I've considered switching to AMD as NVIDIA's terrible driver support has left me craving better performance in games.

The Vertical sync is fine, I find it far better than any of the vsync implementations games use. KDE's vsync has left me with almost no mouse latency while still removing the screen artifacts.

However, most notably is the desktop effects. The ones bundled with KDE are great. Blur really adds alot of polish and also improves contrast in transparent windows. What I DON'T like about it, however:

Peek 2020-11-23 13-39.gif

The desktop effects clash with one another. If you have wobbly windows enabled, it ruins blur effects.

Of course, you can hide this by just making the window translucent on purpose when it moves, and it does feel more natural, but that doesn't solve the source of the problem. Besides, I hate the transparency option.

Then there's minimizing. Do you like Magic Lamp? You know, the thing Mac uses? Well, that ruins blurring too. You can try to hide it by making the animation play faster, but again, that doesn't really solve the problem.

These are things that users on Reddit and the KDE bug tracker have complained about before and it still hasn't been fixed.

I desperately hope that someone contributing to the KDE project is reading this and has the time to dip their toes into finding a solution.

Call me grumpy or whatever, but I don't understand the fascination with desktop effects at all. Whenever desktop effects are available, I always disable them. Other than making things look fancy, I don't think they add anything to the user experience. If anything they detract from it. I mean - who really needs wobbly windows anyway?!

Part of the reason I love dwm (tiling window manager) is because there are no desktop effects. I can instantly switch between running applications without having to sit through some some stupid, pointless animation or effect. Just BLAM! And I'm where I need to be. No BS, just cut to the chase!

Saves my CPU/GPU cycles for something more worthwhile. And saves my eyes and my sanity too! Ha ha!

What do you expect from an Intel HD video card? :D Get a normal desktop computer (not a laptop) with a normal video card (either AMD or nvidia) and you'll see the difference with the effects.

LIkewise.. I had it enabled for a while then got bored with it.. I favored a higher FPS in games intead :)

I'm sure alot of you fellow Plasma users are already aware, but KDE has a bit of a problem.

The compsitor is buggy as all hell.

First of all, it's not entirely compatible with the official Geforce drivers, and it crashes. A lot. I'm letting this one go since it's not KDE's fault, NVIDIA won't release the source for their drivers and until they do, life will always be less convenient for NVIDIA users, for this reason I've considered switching to AMD as NVIDIA's terrible driver support has left me craving better performance in games.

The Vertical sync is fine, I find it far better than any of the vsync implementations games use. KDE's vsync has left me with almost no mouse latency while still removing the screen artifacts.

However, most notably is the desktop effects. The ones bundled with KDE are great. Blur really adds alot of polish and also improves contrast in transparent windows. What I DON'T like about it, however:

View attachment 7825

The desktop effects clash with one another. If you have wobbly windows enabled, it ruins blur effects.

Of course, you can hide this by just making the window translucent on purpose when it moves, and it does feel more natural, but that doesn't solve the source of the problem. Besides, I hate the transparency option.

Then there's minimizing. Do you like Magic Lamp? You know, the thing Mac uses? Well, that ruins blurring too. You can try to hide it by making the animation play faster, but again, that doesn't really solve the problem.

These are things that users on Reddit and the KDE bug tracker have complained about before and it still hasn't been fixed.

I desperately hope that someone contributing to the KDE project is reading this and has the time to dip their toes into finding a solution.
Are you completly convinced that it's a Nvidia driver issue that generates the buggy issue?

With the newest Fedoras, I never use the closed drivers as the ones provided are good enough (rx580).. no problems with the compositor, although I eventually disabled it.

Staff online