Keeps getting stuck at GRUB screen.

RedAreApples

Reaction score
Credits
What's wrong in the linux mint.installation program? I installed Linux mint 20 and it was working like a breeze. I did the reccomended updates and was asked to reboot.
I rebooted to get stuck on the Grub screen. (GNU grub 2.04). I saw some forums for help and they asked to locate the vmlinuz file somewhere.
I followed all the steps but still could not get the file and thus could not boot up again.
Let me tell you this computer is decently old and runs Phoenix AwardBIOS 2.4. Is this some error in the partition? Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_101704.jpg
    IMG_20210223_101704.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 564

I am the Grub command line. I don't have a dual boot so the Grub Menu doesn't open while booting!

Are u at the grub menu or the grub command line?
I am the Grub command line. I don't have a dual boot so the Grub Menu doesn't open while booting!
FYI I have reinstalled Linux using manual partitioning but I have not updated yet. Till now it is going as usual. But I have to see what happenes after I update.

@Peer with slackware i have to manually create a 100mb EFI partition ; from memory i used gdisk utility , with that utility its code EF00

Really i'm out of date with any OS except Slackware but i thought with Mint install , it would automatically allocate an EFI partition if the motherboard has uefi firmware and you choose uefi mode. @RedAreApples its a shame we did not get the chance to help fix things using grub > but never mind. Let us know if install went Ok and that it put in an EFI partition

What of the above partitions is your efi partition?
Truly speaking I don't understand the allocation of memory and starting the boot from the UEFI/BIOS thing. The desktop I have is nearly 12 years old and has a PhoenixAwardBIOS to boot the software. I could not find the setting to change the boot option to UEFI. So what I did was reboot it from the USB again and this time I cleared all existing partitions and allocated / ,/boot , /home and swap file by myself. So far it is working correctly even after update. Thanks a lot for the help!

@Peer with slackware i have to manually create a 100mb EFI partition ; from memory i used gdisk utility , with that utility its code EF00
I would like to read more about UEFI and BIOS and what are their roles in booting up a software. After manually selecting the partitions, so far it is working correctly without the appearance of the grub command line so far. If anything happens I will let you know. Thanks a lot for the help btw.

@RedAreApples thanks for replies.

At #7 you mention PC is circa 12 years old so a very good chance it wasn't uefi ; you CAN change disk partition table type from mbr to gpt IF it has the capability and UEFI firmare.

Though if a PC (with uefi firmaware) has multi linux OS on the hard drive and it was set up mbr style then i've read changing to gpt can mess it up and it may not boot.

With your PC to my knowledge you are stuck with mbr approach. New motherboards have uefi firmware on them.

To be honest some days i think i understand grub, gpt and uefi and other days i don't . For grub legacy this is a good read to start: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Then grub2 https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

@RedAreApples thanks for replies.

At #7 you mention PC is circa 12 years old so a very good chance it wasn't uefi ; you CAN change disk partition table type from mbr to gpt IF it has the capability and UEFI firmare.

Though if a PC (with uefi firmaware) has multi linux OS on the hard drive and it was set up mbr style then i've read changing to gpt can mess it up and it may not boot.
You are entirely correct. I just realised it is an only BIOS motherboard. So yeah, I am stuck with mbr. I like to tinker with stuff so i solved this problem somehow with all the help I got and I hope this thread will to helpful to someone else.
And thanks for the reading material.

Members online

Latest posts