Kernel configuration with config fragments

jindra

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys,

I actually experienced this when messing with the Yocto project, but as the configuration fragments stuff was later merged to Linux and became part of the standard kernel build process, I though I may have better chance here than in the Yocto mailing list.

I'm learning how to configure and build the Linux kernel (4.9.254), and how to use the configuration fragments for that. I generated a configuration fragment by first modifying a previously generated .config file with menuconfig and then running scripts/diffconfig (from the kernel sources) on its output. After that I've run scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh that shall merge a defconfig with my configuration fragment. The thing is that although it can find my fragment, it doesn't actually apply it. Please find the mege_config_build.log attached.

At the beginning of the log generated by merge_config.sh, I see that values for those 6 configuration symbols from my configuration fragment (CONFIG_GENERIC_IRQ_SHOW, CONFIG_GENERIC_IRQ_SHOW_LEVEL, CONFIG_GENERIC_IRQ_MIGRATION, CONFIG_HARDIRQS_SW_RESEND, CONFIG_GENERIC_IRQ_CHIP and CONFIG_PCIEAER_INJECT) were recognized. But at the end of the log, it says that values for these symbols are not in the final .config and it applies different values than those defined in my configuration fragment.

Could anyone advise me why this happens? I would understand that it could override the values when some dependencies are not satisfied. But as the configuration fragment was generated with menuconfig, I would expect that all the dependencies are ok.

Attachments

• merge_config_build.log.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 400

Members online

Latest posts