Kernel panic Arch (SOLVED-process documented).

SeanK

Reaction score
Credits
So New Years day I tried logging into Arch and got this.....

Loading linu linux- lts....
error : file '/vmlinuz-linux-lts' not found.
Loading initial ramdisk....
error : you need load the kernels first.

Press any key to continue......

I did a search and found this:

lsblk

Know we mount our partitions :
Note : Your partitions are different from me and commands below are just examples !

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/home
mkswap /dev/sda3
swapon /dev/sda3
Now we Chroot by following command :

arch-chroot /mnt

Attempting to mount however resulted in me being told I must be supervisor to mount?

Any ideas? Am I missing something fundamental? Is this the right approach to this problem?

Cheers and Happy 2023

Last edited:

Cheers and Happy 2023

... and back at you, Sean - I have moved this to Arch and Derivatives, better there.

1. Is this Arch itself or an Arch-based distro such as Manjaro or other?
  2. Is it the only OS on the PC or if others, please specify?
  3. Do/did you have Timeshift installed?
  4. Was the attempt to chroot performed from a Live USB stick or from elsewhere, if other, where?
Other questions may follow but try those first.

Wiz

... and back at you, Sean - I have moved this to Arch and Derivatives, better there.

1. Is this Arch itself or an Arch-based distro such as Manjaro or other?
  2. Is it the only OS on the PC or if others, please specify?
  3. Do/did you have Timeshift installed?
  4. Was the attempt to chroot performed from a Live USB stick or from elsewhere, if other, where?
Other questions may follow but try those first.

Hi Wiz,
Hi Wiz,

1. Its Arch
2. Arch + Window 10 Enterprise (accessed under UEFI via BIOS on a separate SSD).
3. I don't recall installing Timeshift (but I did and do back up important data to a USB) but not the OS.
4. Live Arch on a USB stick drive.

I'll add doing a fresh install is not the end of the world but if there's a straightforward fix it would save me a lot of time setting up the system again from scratch.And I'll have learnt something new...which is why I've been using Arch.

OK thanks for that. I don't have a pure Arch in my stable currently, but I'll take a look through a couple of other Arch-based ones I have and check out the chrooting angles.

Could take me a couple of days, so entertain advice from others in the meantime.

Other than that, you can likely reinstall faster than I come up with answers.

If you do so, let me know when you are done and I will talk more about Timeshift. The version you will want when we get that far is 22.11.1-1

Also, since I will be sleeping for some of when you are awake - given you are running Windows, do you have a Grub Menu, and if it has an Advanced Options choice, what is in that? eg a previous version of the kernel you may be able to boot into?

Wiz

Attempting to mount however resulted in me being told I must be supervisor to mount?
Are you having that with all of your partitions or just a specific one, if the latter which partition is giving that error when mounting?
2. Arch + Window 10 Enterprise (accessed under UEFI via BIOS on a separate SSD).
So both Arch and Windows are setup as UEFI boot? I have no recent experience with dual-booting with Windows or Dual-booting. However I've read that sometimes Windows updates break Grub.

Are you having that with all of your partitions or just a specific one, if the latter which partition is giving that error when mounting?

So both Arch and Windows are setup as UEFI boot? I have no recent experience with dual-booting with Windows or Dual-booting. However I've read that sometimes Windows updates break Grub.
Hi,

Windows is UEFI, Arch is on legacy. Two separate drives and set ups. For some reason Windows would not install in legacy dual boot. I only use Windows infrequently in any case.

OK thanks for that. I don't have a pure Arch in my stable currently, but I'll take a look through a couple of other Arch-based ones I have and check out the chrooting angles.

Could take me a couple of days, so entertain advice from others in the meantime.

Other than that, you can likely reinstall faster than I come up with answers.

If you do so, let me know when you are done and I will talk more about Timeshift. The version you will want when we get that far is 22.11.1-1

Also, since I will be sleeping for some of when you are awake - given you are running Windows, do you have a Grub Menu, and if it has an Advanced Options choice, what is in that? eg a previous version of the kernel you may be able to boot into?

Wiz
Thanks Wiz. Yes reinstalling is looking more and more likely. I did have a "fall back" kernel from the grub menu but that failed too, much to my surprise. The obvious "ideal" fix would be to boot from back up and remove/reinstall LTS kernel.

I would be curious to hear more about Timeshift. I'll keep researching and sit on this for a couple of days. Hopefully someone has an answer. If I find a solution I'll post here for others.

I was having trouble with grub in an Arch dusl booted with another Linux version recently. I used rEFInd instead of grub per someone's suggestion on this site. It might be worth a shot before reinstalling the whole OS.

Okay problem SOLVED:

Load a live version of Arch from a USB stick or drive and log into konsole.

Here's precisely the process I followed:

(1) sudo lsblk -f (find correct partition/drive) In my case SDA1
(2) sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt (enter password)
(3) sudo arch-chroot /mnt
(4) sudo pacman -Syu (if this does not work try: sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck and then sudo pacman -Syu again)
(5) sudo pacman -S linux-zen linux-zen-headers (or lts-headers, etc) -Installs new kernel and headers
(6) sudo grub-mkconfig –o /boot/grub/grub.cfg-Recreate config file for grub boot loader
(7) reboot (remembering to remove the USB stick)

Now a warning, make sure you have everything backed up, I can not promise what worked for me will necessarily work for you. Ideally check with experts on Arch and Endeavour forums or similar.

Last edited:
I was having trouble with grub in an Arch dusl booted with another Linux version recently. I used rEFInd instead of grub per someone's suggestion on this site. It might be worth a shot before reinstalling the whole OS.
Thanks for the suggestion, its sorted. I documented the process I followed for others.

Last edited:
That's good news :)

When you get a chance, try running

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy
pacman -Qi glib2 timeshift
pacman -Si glib2 timeshift

With glib2 and timeshift I just need the version numbers.

A snippet of text I give people on Timeshift is as follows. The bottom link is where I can help you further.

Wiz

That's good news :)

When you get a chance, try running

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy
pacman -Qi glib2 timeshift
pacman -Si glib2 timeshift

With glib2 and timeshift I just need the version numbers.

A snippet of text I give people on Timeshift is as follows. The bottom link is where I can help you further.

Wiz
Hey Wiz,

I ran the code...it tells me:

V 22.06.5-1 Timeshift
V 2.74.4-1 Glib2

Here's precisely the process I followed:

(1) sudo lsblk -f (find correct partition/drive) In my case SDA1
(2) sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt (enter password)
(3) sudo arch-chroot /mnt
(4) sudo pacman -Syu (if this does not work try: sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck and then sudo pacman -Syu again)
(5) sudo pacman -S linux-zen linux-zen-headers (or lts-headers, etc) -Installs new kernel and headers
(6) sudo grub-mkconfig –o /boot/grub/grub.cfg-Recreate config file for grub boot loader
(7) reboot (remembering to remove the USB stick)

Now a warning, make sure you have everything backed up, I can not promise what worked for me will necessarily work for you. Ideally check with experts on Arch and Endeavour forums or similar.
That's about the same thing I would have done if I was still running Arch. You didn't get the message about needing to be supervisor while mounting your partition this time while been booted in the live usb environment?

OK, Timeshift's GUI for 22.06.5-1 won't work properly with glib2 2.74.4-1 (glib's fault, not timeshift's), you could tell us also what DE (desktop environment, eg Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce and so on) you are using.

Timeshift will need to be at a minimum of 22.06.1, and the latest is 22.11.1.

We can get it through yay, which allows you to access the AUR (Arch User Repository), a community-driven repository.

So if you run the following (my comments preceded with a #, the rest is the commands, if sudo required I list it)

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy

# when completed

pacman -Qi yay

# if found as available but not installed

sudo pacman -S yay

# once installed

yay -Qi timeshift

# if the version available shows as 22.06.1 or higher

yay -S timeshift

#yay will prompt you when it needs sudo. If more than one choice is offered, take the one on the left.

I would run your new install for a day or two first to see that the changes you made persist, before installing Timeshift and taking a snapshot.

...and G'day Maarten ;)

Wiz

That's about the same thing I would have done if I was still running Arch. You didn't get the message about needing to be supervisor while mounting your partition this time while been booted in the live usb environment?
No but then its not the first time with Linux something worked the second or third time for no obvious reason....... :)

OK, Timeshift's GUI for 22.06.5-1 won't work properly with glib2 2.74.4-1 (glib's fault, not timeshift's), you could tell us also what DE (desktop environment, eg Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce and so on) you are using.

Timeshift will need to be at a minimum of 22.06.1, and the latest is 22.11.1.

We can get it through yay, which allows you to access the AUR (Arch User Repository), a community-driven repository.

So if you run the following (my comments preceded with a #, the rest is the commands, if sudo required I list it)

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy

# when completed

pacman -Qi yay

# if found as available but not installed

sudo pacman -S yay

# once installed

yay -Qi timeshift

# if the version available shows as 22.06.1 or higher

yay -S timeshift

#yay will prompt you when it needs sudo. If more than one choice is offered, take the one on the left.

I would run your new install for a day or two first to see that the changes you made persist, before installing Timeshift and taking a snapshot.

...and G'day Maarten ;)

Wiz
Thanks Wiz. I'm using KDE and I'm very familiar with the AUR. I'll install and back things up on Arch. Better safe than sorry.

Appreciate your help. ;)

You're welcome. Sing out over at my Timeshift Thread if you need any help with that.

W

Members online