Keyboard issues in Peppermint Linux

VanillaCoffee

Reaction score
Credits
I found a nice looking OS called Peppermint OS but I can not get the keyboard to work properly like for example if I type the letter "L" it would display the number 3 its not mapping keys I thought maybe it was the laptop so I tried it on another with the same issue. I went into the keyboard configuration and no matter what I did I got the same results.

It could be a hardware or driver issue.

Did you verify the integrity of the .iso file before you installed Peppermint?

What make and model # is your laptop?

If you look closely at the "L" key on your keyboard, you will probably see a small blue "3," like the image below. If this is so, then a BIOS setting to "lock your Fn key" is turned on and needs to be turned off.

As you have it set now, this "Fn lock" provides your small laptop keyboard with a full numeric keypad (similar to that on a fullsize keyboard) to make repetitive number entry easier. A laptop shouldn't default to this setting, IMO, but some may, or you may have changed it intentionally or accidentally. Some people desire this option.

Warning: Changing this BIOS setting can make it seem like your login password no longer works, if your password uses any key that has any of these alternate (blue) characters. You may have to use "Fn + key" on your password when before you only used "key" by itself. So it's a good idea to change your password (root password too, if root is enabled) to be sure of not using those keys. Then find and change the BIOS setting for Fn key locking when you are sure that it will not interfere with you logging in.

keyboard.jpg

If you look closely at the "L" key on your keyboard, you will probably see a small blue "3," like the image below. If this is so, then a BIOS setting to "lock your Fn key" is turned on and needs to be turned off.

Oh, wow! Good catch!

Number Lock - some distros activate it automatically, & on laptops gives what you are seeing.

Another vote for number lock, make sure its switched off in the bios

Staff online