kswapd constantly running - should I add more RAM?

panzo39

Reaction score
Credits
I have a number of servers running OpenVZ kernel 3.10.0-1160.21.1.vz7.174.13

The performance can become very sporadic at times, and I wonder if kswapd is part of, if not, the whole reason for this, as from what I understand, people suggest that kswapd should generally only run if there is a shortage of physical memory, and that all this swapping is quite heavy on resources (I mean, the two kswapd processes shown below are using ~200% CPU collectively, without even considering I/O).

So my question is: would adding more physical RAM be beneficial? They currently have 128 GB but can scale up to 256 GB if needed.

This screenshot gives a better idea of what I'm talking about: Here is RAM usage:

So my question is: would adding more physical RAM be beneficial? They currently have 128 GB but can scale up to 256 GB if needed.
I don't know much about the topic, but IMO, if there's the possibility, both economically and physically(available slots)to increase RAM, just go for it. It certainly wouldn't hurt and surely will help. You might want to read these too:
By the way, consider using free -h as it is more easy to read and understand, for us(at least for mere mortals like me it is) I mean ;)
Hope this helps! :)

Your 'free -m' indicates that you're using a whole lot of swap and that you have little free RAM remaining.

I agree with the 'upgrade to more RAM' choice.

Members online