Kubuntu crash on sleep

Yopmailer

Reaction score
Credits
Hello to everyone,

Been using on and off Kubuntu for several months but completely unable to solve the following problem:
Whenever I suspend my laptop, it cashes (black screen, no mouse movement, all light i/o lights on) and restarts on itself after +-20 seconds.

Here is my config:
5.4.0-77-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 17 02:35:03 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Tried to read through a post-crash syslog and stumbled across this: kernel: [ 10.075295] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7

Seems secure boot is preventing this? Tried disabling it in the bios, but then my laptop won't boot.

Bit of a newbie so any help would be very very much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Once you've installed Linux with (or without) Secure Boot, you can't boot it without/with it.

In other words, if you've installed it with Secure Boot, you can't change it and still boot. The opposite is also true. If you installed without Secure Boot, you can't turn it on and still boot.

Anyhow, see this link:

Thanks a lot for this reply!

Having secure boot does not prevent booting with a live USB though, correct?

1) In the link you shared and others I found after (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnableHibernateWithEncryptedSwap) it is recommended to encrypt the swap partition if I understood correctly. In my case, it is a file, not a partition.
~$ swapon -s
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/swapfile file 2097148 0 -2
2) Furthermore, shouldn't this be no problem when suspending/sleeping as the computer keeps the memory in the RAM and doesn't write it to the HDD?

I would guess that Kubuntu is using hybrid sleep, but I don't know for certain. You can *try* encrypting the swap file. I make no guarantees that it'll work.

Members online