Ladies and gentlemen, it's the article we've all been waiting for!

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Well, probably not all of us.

I have revamped and redone my article about asking a good support question. It's was an often linked site on the old site, but now it'll be on the new site - updated and formatted to make for easier reading.

The old URL will 'work' for a few more minutes - and then it will automatically redirect to the new site. The old links to the site will still work, it'll just (blindly) redirect to the new site. However, you'll probably want to update your own references to the new site. After a year or two I'll just stop registering the old domain name. So, you have plenty of time to do so.

Feedback is awesome.

Hmm... I'll toss it into my notes. That's not really a convention at all that many sites - even here where we do it once in a while I'd say members do it far less often than they do do it.

So, in other words, yeah, that's not a bad idea to add it. It'd be helpful if more people did.

On that subject (to fit into the same section) that folks should return and say *how* they resolved it.

Just a heads up on DeepL (and yes, I know it is quite good and gaining in popularity)

Millions translate with DeepL every day. Popular: Spanish to English, French to English, and Japanese to English.Other languages: Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, and Swedish.

Very limited range of languages so far, which are covered by Google Translate.

Notable exclusions so far are Arabic (spoken by over 1 billion) and Malay/Indonesian (spoken by over 310 million).

So might be worth adding

"or Google Translate".

We have Members in those categories.

Cheers

Wizard

Hmmm.... As much as I don't mind Google, some FOSS folks REALLY hate 'em... That's kinda why I picked DeepL - nobody has any complaints about them (that I've noticed). I actually looked around for a couple of minutes to see if there were other translation services.

Meh... I'll add Google when I do my next edit. I'll edit within a few days, as I wait for feedback.

I like the formatting of this article more than that of the last one.

Thanks KGIII, Well Written and surely to help those seeking our help here and on other forums.

The part about asterisks when typing passwords in terminal can be fixed on most distros by following this advice.

How ever before you do that some see this as a security risk. Because you can count the number of characters in the Password.

I do have a very important question, is it safe to ask a good support question?

How ever before you do that some see this as a security risk. Because you can count the number of characters in the Password.

LOL Thanks! And... Yeah, I know. I mention that same thing on in the article itself! :D

Thanks KGIII, Well Written and surely to help those seeking our help here and on other forums.

It's a revamp of the old one and I much prefer the new one to the old. The old one does a 301 redirect to the new one, so it's no longer visible to the public 'net. But, the new one is (I think) easier to follow without being overwhelmed. The tone is less jovial. Quite a bit has been added. Some of it has been removed.

No. No, it's not safe because Microsoft owns GitHub.

We can't answer that question until you ask 3 or 4 times, in 3 or 4 different threads, on 3 or 4 different forums.

Oh, and don't forget to ask the same question at the Debian forum.

Children (giggle)

Members online