Laptop for linux

66Drew66

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, this might seem like a strange question, I'm looking to install linux lite on to an old laptop.
I have an acer that is a couple of years old but its locked into Uefi Bios (This cannot be changed).

I was hoping that someone on here could suggest an old ish laptop/netbook that has Bios that can be unlocked.
I will be using it to download images from my Digital camera when I'm camping (not editing), secondary use is to play movies when its raining. Lol.

It has to have an SD card slot.
I would prefer something small and lightweight and HD or FHD.
Not looking to spend to much as it will be used outside.

Regards Andy

evestov

Reaction score
Credits
Do not recommend Lite. Posted this elsewhere and now cannot find it!!

LINUX LITE PROBLEMS

I have a 2009 laptop with a single core Celeron.It is one solid piece of kit
and still has DVD fitted. Very useful.

My main distro is Mint running on quad core i5 at 3.4G, which lives up to its name. However,
it is a bit much for the laptop so looked for lightweight for it and Lite seemed to fit the bill.
It certainly runs quicker but the ghastly failures of the authors are an object lesson in
how not to a system.

THUNAR the worst possible file manager single pane only. Remove it and Synaptic and Control Panel fail to run. No need to look any further. Linux package with all the vices of windows. One basic utility app
missing and the system fails.

SOFTWARE MANAGER The worst ever seen. Very limited repository. REMOVE only removes user installed apps. No remove access to out-of-box apps. Why install and remove are separate apps? CLI needed to install up-to-date deb package of Libreoffice. Supplied version of Libre had to be removed by hand and even then had to "hide" app in menu as icons left behind - and no menu editor!!!!!

MENU EDITOR No menu editor - ludicrous

WORKSPACES

Will only allow 5 before it defaults to "Workspace X" label and cannot be reduced.
With 5, the label can be made a single digit stating workspace number. I have seen this
on other Linux distros and it seems like an unnecessary limit on capability. Not good.

SUMMARY

The above was enough to consign it to the bin. Prefer a slower system that actually works.

[Removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP

66Drew66

Reaction score
Credits
Thanks, I settled on a lenove thinkpad X240.

Ive been told to avoid linuxlite before, but as i'm new to linux I find the similarity to windows helpfull.
The only issue I'm having is with playing movies in VLC. They play fine on my desktop but they wont play on my laptop. Even though I used the same installation media and files.

NORD

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Mine was locked Uefi Bios.
I used this method for mine but its also a chromebook minus the chrome now.

Also there could be an unlock screw you need to remove before doing that. its usually located on the mother board so you will need to take it apart.

Last edited:
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online

Latest posts