laptop hard drives

Z

zezerbing

Hello, I am a linux user. I've been running PClinuxOS on my desk top for several years.I have a couple of old laptops that I'm playing with. I can't get any linux to work. Right now I'm playing with a gateway model # solo 1150. Ive tried DSL, crunchbang,puppy, tine core etc. DSL loads but I can't connect to the internet. crunchbang, gets an error message that it can't install. tinycore sees my wireless card but doesn't connect. In short, their always seems to be some problem that prevents the distro from working.My question is this: Is there something from "wintel" that gets in the way? When i load a distro does it completely reformat the HD ? Or am I having bad luck? This is the second old laptop I've had this problem with.would running something like partedmagic help? thanks.

I have had the best success on old machines using Ubuntu or a distro based on Ubuntu, such as antiX, Zorin OS, and Lubuntu. They seem to have the drivers required without much hassle. If you do not have success with the newest Ubuntu based versions, you can try an older one to see if every thing works, such as 9.04 or something. Just remember that the old versions may or may not still be supported.

Your specs?

SDRAM PC-100 memory
One 144-pin industrial standard SO-DIMM socket
Socket accepts 1.25-inch memory module
Maximum memory is 160 MB for Solo 1150CS model and 192 MB for Solo 1150CL model

Your specs?

SDRAM PC-100 memory
One 144-pin industrial standard SO-DIMM socket
Socket accepts 1.25-inch memory module
Maximum memory is 160 MB for Solo 1150CS model and 192 MB for Solo 1150CL model

If so, antiX i486 version Base install may work; even so, with so little RAM, creating a page file may be necessary.
In all honesty, I have not tried such a dinosaur since 1989!

Members online

Latest posts