Late To The Game

E41510

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

I'm considering a career change from admin support to IT support, and I've read A+ requires familiarity with Linux.

I just spent my whole birthday wrestling with a multiboot setup on my 13-year-old D630. After multiple successes and failures installing several live USBs I now have Ubuntu Studio, PCLinux MATE, Arch Linux with a forgotten password, and Win10 that always restarts but never shuts down.

I wanted to learn command line but, for now, I'm ok with being locked out of Arch. Hopefully I can learn everything I need from Ubuntu.

If anyone is keeping track... kudos to the Ubuntu installer for always fixing the bootloader after being wrecked by Arch, PCLinux KDE, CentOS, openSUSE, Subgraph, Fedora Workstation, and Fedora Silverblue. Everything probably would've been easier if I had installed only one distro.

Anyway... over to the beginner threads... or maybe tomorrow... I'm tired!

Welcome to linux.org @E41510 and a belated happy birthday :), no wonder you are tired.

We will look forward to your Posts.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW Ubiquity, the Installer used by Ubuntu, Linux Mint and others, is probably the easiest and most reliable Installer, IMO (I run 56 Linux or more)

Congrads on your tripe boot!

FWIW, I have a triple booted system: on a Asus Tuf Gaming Desktop: Manjaro, Debian 10 Buster and Linux Mint 19.3.
The only way I was able to get this rig to run and boot correctly was to allow Manjaro to have the power over the bootloader. Now all 3 distro's boot w/o any issues.

For another perspective...

I, on the other hand, never double/triple boot. One OS per computer - on bare metal.

If I want to use a different OS, I use virtual machines. I use them all the time. Just a while earlier, I was posting through a VM. I have ample resources and I might as well use them. Virtual machines let me try things rapidly and without any hassles. If I screw it up, I can restore it or just plain delete it.

On this computer, I have dozens of virtual machines.

Thanks for all the input!

Just curious... I keep hearing Linux is lightweight but why does it feel sluggish compared to Windows?

Linux *can* be lightweight. You either have to pick a distro that is lightweight or lighten the distro you're using.

Linux is not any lighter once you start cramming stuff on the top of it. But, unlike Windows, you can make it exceptionally light, such as running 'fine' on as little as 256 MB of RAM.

If you're new and want a lightweight distro, start with a lightweight distro. That'll save time and heartache.

Just be aware folks that support questions are better asked and answered in a Thread in Forum.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW I am guessing that by lightweight, @E41510 means not a memory hog like Windows.

Hi All,

I'm considering a career change from admin support to IT support, and I've read A+ requires familiarity with Linux.

I wanted to learn command line but, for now, I'm ok with being locked out of Arch. Hopefully I can learn everything I need from Ubuntu.
Hello @E41510 and welcome to the forums and to your GNU/Linux journey! What's the difference between admin support and IT support, or do you mean are you want to switch from a sysadmin job to a help-desk job? Lastly you don't need to run Arch in order to learn GNU/Linux, but you do learn some things from installing Arch.

I'm a typical pencil-pushing admin clerk but I've always been the hobbyist building pc for gaming, mining, daw, and helping people with pc stuff in general. I want to take the A+ and Network+ exams and do something different with my life. But I only know Windows, no Linux or Mac.

But I only know Windows, no Linux or Mac.

The only thing stopping you is you.

This isn't a slight - it's motivation. If you want to learn, there are tons of resources to do just that. You could probably make your way all the way to competent sys admin without spending a dime on learning resources.

Hello @E41510 and welcome to the forums and to your GNU/Linux journey! What's the difference between admin support and IT support, or do you mean are you want to switch from a sysadmin job to a help-desk job? Lastly you don't need to run Arch in order to learn GNU/Linux, but you do learn some things from installing Arch.
Or installing Slackware!

Hi All,

I just spent my whole birthday wrestling with a multiboot setup on my 13-year-old D630. After multiple successes and failures installing several live USBs I now have Ubuntu Studio, PCLinux MATE, Arch Linux with a forgotten password, and Win10 that always restarts but never shuts down.

If anyone is keeping track... kudos to the Ubuntu installer for always fixing the bootloader after being wrecked by Arch, PCLinux KDE, CentOS, openSUSE, Subgraph, Fedora Workstation, and Fedora Silverblue. Everything probably would've been easier if I had installed only one distro.

Anyway... over to the beginner threads... or maybe tomorrow... I'm tired!
Better late than never! Welcome aboard mate!

Staff online