Learning Linux for intabulating Lute music

AndyS145

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I'm looking for guidance on getting started, please.

My aim is to run the music manuscript software Musescore on Linux on an old PC. I enjoy using Musescore as an effective tool for intabulating lute music, and it involves playing in music from a keyboard via midi in order to produce a score to read.

Kit: I have a six year old Packard Bell, AMD Athlon 5150 APU, 1600mhz, 4GB ram and the will to learn - with guidance!
I am happy to try things out and want to learn Linux as I go.
Where might you suggest I start given I'm a just beyond a beginner (Raspibian basics) - and where do you think I might end up?!
With all best wishes at this difficult time.
Andy S145

G'day and welcome to the crew. @AndyS145
I am not sure of which distro you should use, though Linux Mint , Manjaro, and Ubuntu distros are easy for a beginner to cut their teeth on in getting use to using Linux. :(
Maybe @JasKinasis can help more than I can as he also is a muso so more than likely be in tune with you than I would be with your problem.
Enjoy your journey in to the world of Linux.:)

AFAIK - Musescore is in the repos of all of the major Linux distros. So just pick a distro to install and then you’ll be able to install Musescore from the software repos using your chosen distro’s package manager.

It literally makes no difference what distro you choose.

You really only need to make special considerations if you plan to turn your pc into a recording studio. Then you have to consider using a lightweight desktop/wm, installing a real-time kernel patch, for low latency recordings. Etc.

So, if you aim to turn your pc into a studio, for a beginner, I’d recommend Installing Ubuntu studio, or perhaps musix.

Otherwise, if it’s just to use musescore - then pick anything!

G'day and welcome to the crew. @AndyS145
I am not sure of which distro you should use, though Linux Mint , Manjaro, and Ubuntu distros are easy for a beginner to cut their teeth on in getting use to using Linux. :(
Maybe @JasKinasis can help more than I can as he also is a muso so more than likely be in tune with you than I would be with your problem.
Enjoy your journey in to the world of Linux.:)
Thank you for your kind welcome @Nik-Ken-Bah. Much appreciated. I shall start with Ubuntu and then try Manjaro. @JasKinasis has already extended my wish list and it is only day one! I'll report back.

AFAIK - Musescore is in the repos of all of the major Linux distros. So just pick a distro to install and then you’ll be able to install Musescore from the software repos using your chosen distro’s package manager.

It literally makes no difference what distro you choose.

You really only need to make special considerations if you plan to turn your pc into a recording studio. Then you have to consider using a lightweight desktop/wm, installing a real-time kernel patch, for low latency recordings. Etc.

So, if you aim to turn your pc into a studio, for a beginner, I’d recommend Installing Ubuntu studio, or perhaps musix.

Otherwise, if it’s just to use musescore - then pick anything!

Many thanks for this @JasKinasis. Good to know I can just dive in! The 'etc' is intriguing. You have touched on an area I had not yet considered (recording studio) but I can see will become a development plan. No hurry. I'll go for Ubuntu to get started but then move on from there. I'll get back to you once I've mastered some basic basics! A

Members online