Learning Linux Security

R

Rob

Ok, so I've been using Linux since about 1995 (wow, almost 20yrs??) and I believe I have a good handle on Linux security, but I want to be at the level where I could start a "Linux Cybercrime" type security company...

Where would you suggest that I go to measure my knowledge against 'the pros' out there? Has anyone taken courses in this area that could recommend some training companies?

Thanks!
Rob

Depends on what level you are wanting to work at. There is a whole world of investigation at the application layer, and at the server layer.

If you are doing the server level then I would find local security user groups and if you are looking at the application level then probably groups dealing with owasp and similar initiatives.

Security is relative, but there are a lot of certifications you can earn to get some knowledge as mentioned above and see what you know and don't know. There are plenty of nasty trojans for linux, vulnerable packages, improper configuration, but your biggest threat to security is yourself. Social engineering is the most effective in my experience. Look at some of the courses that offensive security offers, I haven't taken any but I'm sure linux is covered considering most servers run it.

I've looked into the CHFI from EC-Council in the past when I was taking a Computer Forensics course for University. That might be up your alley. Also, I don't think you could go wrong with a CISSP as long as you can find another CISSP to endorse your skills.

Members online