Lenovo Laptop Does Not Completely Shut Down When Quit Selected.

supernewb

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everybody,
I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 and since an update in early to mid May, my Laptop will not completely switch off. The screen goes black leading you to believe that the computer has turned off but the power light remains on eventually draining the battery. If restart is selected, it will not restart.

Could you please inform me of the best way to "rollback" to 3 updates ago.

Many thanks
Supernewb

I think you have to use timeshift.

That's provided that you performed a snapshot of your system 3 updates ago.

I thought that may be the case but I'm not sure if it goes back far enough. If it doesn't go back far enough, will I have to do a complete re-install or is there another way?

I thought that may be the case but I'm not sure if it goes back far enough. If it doesn't go back far enough, will I have to do a complete re-install or is there another way?
Before you do a complete re-install try running this in the terminal first and see if it shuts down.
sudo shutdown -h now

Of course it would be really useful to know the laptop hardware. Open a terminal and run:
Code:
inxi -Fxxxx
Copy and paste the output here.

Do you use Chrome browser ?

and....do you know if fast boot is still enabled ?

"Supes"

By all means answer the questions of the above 3 helpers first.

Subsequent to what they find from that information, I would ask:

1. How far back do the Timeshift snapshots go? Show us a screenshot of the summary page.
  2. If you perform your updates through the little shield that is the Update Manager, in your system tray, they should be recorded under History in Synaptic Package Manager, and we can take a look at them.
Cheers and Avagudweegend, all

Wizard

Firstly thanks everyone for your advice.

To Alexzee:
I really, really wanted your code to work but power light stubbornly remains on. I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds to extinguish power light and turn machine completely off.

To jglen490:
inxi -Fxxxx what an amazing command! Took me a while to figure out how to screen shot but here are the results:

Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-02-05.png

Screenshot from 2020-06-06 19-57-12.png

To Condobloke:
Only use Firefox and only have secure boot enabled - no fast boot. Boot mode UEFI on BIOS.

To Wizardfromoz:
Here are two screen shots and hopefully at least one will contain the information you need.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-12-47.png
    Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-12-47.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 468
  • Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-15-29.png
    Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-15-29.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 491
  • Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-34-09.png
    Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-34-09.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 479
  • Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-36-32.png
    Screenshot from 2020-06-06 20-36-32.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 539
Hello again everyone.
I have found the cause of my problem and thankfully it is nothing to do with Linux or its updates. Whilst preparing for my almost inevitable re-install of Linux, I removed the little data that I had and backed it up onto a USB drive. Lo and behold the power light now goes off and laptop shuts down correctly. It seems that one of the WhatsApp files, that I was backing up, was causing the problem and I had put it on just after an Update.

I'd like to say sorry to everyone for wasting your time.

This phrase from Condobloke seems so appropriate right now:
“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

There is no waste of time...

I find my curiosity peaked at the very mention of WhatsApp

Thank you for posting this.

That information will help someone enormously

One is left to wonder about the possible "goings on" by that app.

Hello again everyone.
I have found the cause of my problem and thankfully it is nothing to do with Linux or its updates. Whilst preparing for my almost inevitable re-install of Linux, I removed the little data that I had and backed it up onto a USB drive. Lo and behold the power light now goes off and laptop shuts down correctly. It seems that one of the WhatsApp files, that I was backing up, was causing the problem and I had put it on just after an Update.

I'd like to say sorry to everyone for wasting your time.

This phrase from Condobloke seems so appropriate right now:
“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."
Glad to hear your pc shuts down now.
Thanks for the update.

Hi guys, I'm new here but have the same problem as described by the OP (not sure if this should have its own thread). I don't suspect a whatsapp file is the culprit, though I'm not sure how I'd verify that.

What is interesting is that my Linux system also started having this problem a couple of months ago. On the other hand I will say that I suspect (but hope it's not the case!) that it might be hardware related - my laptop had a bit of a fall, but I find it seems strange for that to result in only this one peculiar symptom.

At the moment I'm not in a position to backup my data and investigate further because all my externals happen to be either faulty or need a power supply which I don't have anymore (they're old), but I am looking to address that very soon.

In the meantime, if anyone can tell me if a hardware issue could result in the problem I'm having that would be a great help. When I go to shut down the system, it transitions to the black screen with the Linux logo and just stays like that. The other day I followed a tutorial which directed me to update/edit the "grub" code, which in turn allowed me to shut down normally. This solution unfortunately doesn't appear to be a permanent fix.

Again, sorry if this should've been a new thread

Hi guys, I'm new here but have the same problem as described by the OP (not sure if this should have its own thread). I don't suspect a whatsapp file is the culprit, though I'm not sure how I'd verify that.

What is interesting is that my Linux system also started having this problem a couple of months ago. On the other hand I will say that I suspect (but hope it's not the case!) that it might be hardware related - my laptop had a bit of a fall, but I find it seems strange for that to result in only this one peculiar symptom.

At the moment I'm not in a position to backup my data and investigate further because all my externals happen to be either faulty or need a power supply which I don't have anymore (they're old), but I am looking to address that very soon.

In the meantime, if anyone can tell me if a hardware issue could result in the problem I'm having that would be a great help. When I go to shut down the system, it transitions to the black screen with the Linux logo and just stays like that. The other day I followed a tutorial which directed me to update/edit the "grub" code, which in turn allowed me to shut down normally. This solution unfortunately doesn't appear to be a permanent fix.

Again, sorry if this should've been a new thread
You should start a new thread so that you can get the help you need.
When starting a new thread include what distro and version you are running and the exact make and model of your laptop. Don't forget to mention that the laptop fell.

Members online