Lets Talk ARC

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
Intel's ARC is out now. Its benchmarks show an impressive amount of performance under the Vulcan API. The implications are very clear. Once the driver issues are settled, it has the potential to become a powerful Linux Proton gaming card. Depending on how well the drivers would be implemented, it has the potential to be the go-to card for any Linux gamer out there.

Would you go for it, given the option?

Intel-Arc-A770-desktop-graphics-2-1536x864.png

Would you go for it, given the option?
Given the option means free in my world so yes.
If I have to pay money for it nope ain't happening.
I'm not a gamer and have zero interest in online gaming.

there are still alot of Driver Problems so im not even gonna check them out but as a streamer/Gamer i do have one of those in mind. but for now they are not worth it.

there are still alot of Driver Problems so im not even gonna check them out but as a streamer/Gamer i do have one of those in mind. but for now they are not worth it.
I believe it depends how the drivers will work on linux. They certainly do lack optimization.
I haven't done streaming, thus I cannot attest to how useful this card is to streamers, however it is claimed to have accelerated AV1 encoding.

Was a nice try (fail). Integrated Graphics Intel has had down but separating them seems to have them bamboozled.

The driver issue will get worked out in time but for now I have seen they do not work in a lot of instances.

Nvidia jumped the shark long ago, with the 40 series they just Unlaunched the 4080 12 gig card. Almost 2000 buck for a graphics card? I'll stick with AMD. No driver issues, open source from AMD, less than 300 bucks for the 6600 8 gig I have 1 power connector, stays cool works with Linux always.

Was a nice try (fail). Integrated Graphics Intel has had down but separating them seems to have them bamboozled.

The driver issue will get worked out in time but for now I have seen they do not work in a lot of instances.

Nvidia jumped the shark long ago, with the 40 series they just Unlaunched the 4080 12 gig card. Almost 2000 buck for a graphics card? I'll stick with AMD. No driver issues, open source from AMD, less than 300 bucks for the 6600 8 gig I have 1 power connector, stays cool works with Linux always.
Yeah and it can't fit in most cases and use to much voltage. If I gonna upgrades at some point and intel has not fixed their driver problem then I gonna go AMD too. But for now I'm happy with my 2070S

I can't seem to get oculus working on debian therefore I used windows. The drivers had considerable issues with frame time spikes just at the moment when asynchronous timewarp triggers which forced me to disable it.

Let just say it was a digestion reversing experience.

have you read this
Yes I have. In order for basic Rift functionality I would need to compile OpenHMD myself, and even there are issues which require considerable tinkering for which I am not willing to go so far.

Barring all this aside, I am planning my next series of hardware purchases to be more in line with Linux compatibility, but as things are, I am currently stuck with dual booting windows for VR purposes.

I am not exactly lost here, I just made certain choices that were made based on how things stood at the time they were made and I'd prefer we'd leave it at that. This conversation is about ARC and it's rather impressive (relatively speaking of course) performance on Vulcan which which may at the very least hint at it being quite a solid choice for those interesting in gaming on linux.

Although I am curious on just how ARC would run VR... in any OS...

Staff online