libre office - calc - 6.4.7.2 - HH:MM not working

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
hi all

i'm trying to use the HH:MM, but everytime i type in a number, two problems happen;

1a. if i type in 3, it doesn't show 3, it shows 00:00
but i click on the cell, it will show 72:00:00

if i type in 4, it doesn't show 4, it shows 00:00
but i click on the cell, it will show 96:00:00

1b. it doesn't show 72:00:00, i only see it in top bar

2. rather than figuring out this weird behavior, perhaps you smart people can find an easier of doing this - i'm trying to find the hours between two HOURs...for example
6hours-3hours =3hours

thx

Attachments

• libre.png
    libre.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 109

I've enclosed a file with a way to do it. I don't know if Libre Office could load it. For this I used OnlyOffice Desktop Editors spreadsheet program which is similar.

Sorry will have to use a ZIP unpacker because the spreadsheet file format is blocked by this forum.:rolleyes:

EDIT: You have to put down HH:MM:SS, all three hours, minutes and seconds without exception. That's why you're getting values you don't expect for time format.

EDIT #2: I decided to enclose an ODS file but I don't know if an older Libre Office than v7 could read it. Previously I exported OnlyOffice "native" format which has less chance of loading.

Attachments

• time-subtract.ods.zip
    4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
This really has nothing to do with Linux.
And yet, Wendy, Libre Office is an integral part of Linux.
It is included by default, and has been for quite some time.

The fact that you do not like office software and "that program" (Libre Office) in particular, has no bearing here.

If you cannot answer a question with accuracy and good grace, I can only suggest you hold your tongue.

Have you tried EndeavourOS?

That doesn't come with Libre Office. That is not an integral part of Linux. It is not needed to start the system, it's not like the terminal. A terminal emulation is more "integral" than an office suite.

Yes on that distro at least, Libre Office has to be installed. Are you surprised?

Do you know how to help the OP better than I did? At least I've tried. You've only answered me here, making it worse.

Anyway why are you following me bloke?

First I will dispel a couple of misconceptions.

Have you tried EndeavourOS?

That doesn't come with Libre Office.

It doesn't come, by default, with any office suite, the choice is yours. I have been using it for 3 years and I use Libre Office. You can just as easily install Only Office, Open Office, WPS or other.

Peppermint is another GNU/Linux distro in that category.

And yet, Wendy, Libre Office is an integral part of Linux.
It is included by default, and has been for quite some time.

That is addressed, by my above, I think, too. But rather, it is the default choice over others, for many distros.

None of the office suites is actually Linux, they are simply opensource.

This thread is thus better situated in General Computing and that is where I will move it after this post.

The fact that you do not like office software and "that program" (Libre Office) in particular, has no bearing here.

A little abrupt, but yes. The subject title refers to Libre Office Calc, and so posts on any other suite add nothing to the thread, and are more likely to confuse.

The OP has special needs, Wendy, and after less than 4 weeks you are not expected to know that, but he will likely not be able to make use of a zipped package.

Anyway why are you following me bloke?

Anyone can follow anyone, it's not stalking. You are following me, Wendy, along with 151 others (go figure).

You can leave
You have to put down HH:MM:SS, all three hours, minutes and seconds without exception. That's why you're getting values you don't expect for time format.

if you like.

I'll come back on my tomorrow to clean up.

Wizard

wendy seems to have a motive with her posts. its as if she wants to become a super user member on this forum.

she has replied to a previous post of mine and was totally wrong.

wendy - please do not reply to any new threads i create.

Granted, this will be the last time.

This thread went a good six hours or longer without a reply, before I wasted a lot of my time to reply to you. Have you even downloaded the spreadsheet file that I sent you? Have you read what I proposed otherwise? No both times?

I'm going to block you and that's it.

wendy seems to have a motive with her posts. its as if she wants to become a super user member on this forum.

she has replied to a previous post of mine and was totally wrong.

@marbles - Please stop disparaging the people who try to help you. Just read their posts. If they do not fit your needs or apply to your problem, then either ignore them or reply politely with an explanation of what you need or why the proposed suggestion does not work for you.

Kindergarten 101: Don't bite the hand the feeds you. Insulting people who are giving the best of themselves to help you is not a good long term strategy in most forums. I thought it was common sense.

@marbles - Please stop disparaging the people who try to help you. Just read their posts. If they do not fit your needs or apply to your problem, then either ignore them or reply politely with an explanation of what you need or why the proposed suggestion does not work for you.
I'll buy @marbles a Windows license so they can run an os they can actually work with and that we don't have to put up with them insulting people who are just doing their best to help even though not all answers will be right or right for that person or appreciated. If you want your own personal support line where you can insult people go somewhere else to do that.

Last edited:
hi all

i'm trying to use the HH:MM, but everytime i type in a number, two problems happen;

1a. if i type in 3, it doesn't show 3, it shows 00:00
but i click on the cell, it will show 72:00:00

if i type in 4, it doesn't show 4, it shows 00:00
but i click on the cell, it will show 96:00:00

1b. it doesn't show 72:00:00, i only see it in top bar

2. rather than figuring out this weird behavior, perhaps you smart people can find an easier of doing this - i'm trying to find the hours between two HOURs...for example
6hours-3hours =3hours

thx
This may be hard to believe, but when you have your cells formatted as time, you must enter your values in time format. So entering "3" does not equal 03:00 or 15:00, nor does entering "4" equal 04:00 or 16:00. Enter your time correctly, and you will be able to calculate your time values.

Acceptable ways LibreOffice Calc will take your time input:

"06:00" or "6 am" will both work.
"20:00" or "8 pm" will both work.

You have to put down HH:MM:SS, all three hours, minutes and seconds without exception.
No, you can enter just HH:MM and it works fine. Calc will default to :00 seconds both in HH:MM and HH:MM:SS formats when not specified. HH:MM does accept seconds if entered, but they are not displayed, they are not calculated, and they do not "round up" to the next minute.

Members online