LibreOffice Templates

D

Deleted member 111282

When I was still in high school from 2008-2012, I was still a Windows user, and I remember using Microsoft Office to complete assignments. One thing I always loved about MO was when you start up one of the programs (let's say Word), one of the first thing it brings up are the large variety of templates that came preinstalled. After I switched over to Linux by the end of high school, I began using LibreOffice because it came preinstalled, and even to this day (while using the most recent version of it), two things I still don't like about it are the templates don't come up when you start up a program (you have to go to File > Templates instead), and the amount of default templates to choose from is minuscule compared to what MO offered back then, which causes the end user to have to go to LO's website and fish for ones they want or need. Before anyone says it, yes I know Windows isn't Linux and vice-versa, but all I simply want is LO to be the FOSS equivalent to MO, as that distinction is small but enough to make them two different programs. I'm wondering if why the Document Foundation designs it this way to avoid including bloatware? If that's the case, why not include a feature where you can remove the templates you don't like or need?

Just to be clear, I still like LO itself, I just find this template issue to be inconvenient, stupid, and lackluster

Last edited by a moderator:

LO's Impress opens with a 'select a template' first. So, there's some precedent. In fact, that template thing is what triggers one of my oldest bugs.

You'd really only get a qualified answer from them. If you're going to do all that, you should file that bug upstream for me.

Their bug reporting process is pretty onerous, so it has never been filed upstream. Also, nobody will ever trigger the bug unless they're testing.

You'd really only get a qualified answer from them.

While I can contact them and suggest they take inspiration from MO, I can't guarantee they'll actually go along with it because that's a bit more work for them to implement

Open the Microsoft Word template in LibreOffice Writer and then do a File | Save As and save the file as an .ott file (OpenDocument Template). Then save the template in the proper directory so the template is available for use.
Although sometimes the conversion is not 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
Open the Microsoft Word template in LibreOffice Writer and then do a File | Save As and save the file as an .ott file (OpenDocument Template). Then save the template in the proper directory so the template is available for use.
Although sometimes the conversion is not 100%

While I could go through the hassle of doing that, it would eventually get annoying because it would reinforce my point of how LO isn't as good as MO in regards like this

While I could go through the hassle of doing that, it would eventually get annoying because it would reinforce my point of how LO isn't as good as MO in regards like this
I've read somewhere that Microsoft Office doesn't follow open standards all the time and LibreOffice does, so that might have something to do with incompatibility here and there with some type of documents made in Microsoft Office not working correctly in LibreOffice.

Microsoft originally announced the Office 2019 would be the last standalone version - but since then have changed their mind and Office 2021 was released maybe this will be the last standalone - who knows - but seems to me that MS is moving toward "services" over standalone software and everything will be web based like Office 365

Members online

Latest posts