Link to download ubuntu minimal iso image?

You are probably looking for the server install, which is 1.8G compared to the desktop iso which is 4.6G

Which begs the question....why is the desktop .iso 4.6GB ??!!.....how much bloat in that !!

You could try the top of this page that says...Download Linux.
m1213.gif

Which begs the question....why is the desktop .iso 4.6GB ??!!.....how much bloat in that !!
Programs. Libreoffice + Games + Snaps + Language Packs... if it's anything like Debian ISO which is 1GB less than that. The smallest Ubuntu flavor for ISO was supposed to be Lubuntu but that's closing in on 3GB.

Thanks for the need to support non-free firmware (Wifi), even the net-install ISO's are becoming big.

And yet Linux Mint Cinnamon comes in at just 2.5GB ...all inclusive

I never questioned the size much. I assumed it was a lot of software that was not installed for me, but available for others who may want to use it.

Some distros offer a minimal installer that downloads only the files it needs, during installation. Those installers come in a convenient, relatively small .iso file.

I prefer the versions that are larger self-contained installers. It is a habit. Sometimes I must work without a net(work). The network may be down, infected, or hostile. Internet access may be limited or unavailable.

ubuntu doesn't works with vmware. idk how to setup for virtualbox. any alternatives to use ubuntu except wsl? it freezes. the bug hasn't been resolved yet.

ubuntu doesn't works with vmware. idk how to setup for virtualbox. any alternatives to use ubuntu except wsl? it freezes. the bug hasn't been resolved yet.
I have been running the regular desktop versions of Ubuntu Linux for close to 20 years in VMware Fusion on a Mac. It ran fine for me with no performance or other issues. I stopped using it last summer because I never really liked the Unity interface. I do not like the search-powered left side dock design coupled with the lack of "show-me-what-you-got" menus. I switched to Linux Mint (Cinnamon), also running in VMware Fusion. (Perhaps your freezing issue is related to which host operating system is running VMware.)

I installed Ubuntu Cinnamon 22.04 in my VMware Fusion earlier this week. It is very slow and sluggish, but it ran without serious issues. After a quick try with some other Cinnamon distros, I deleted it and kept the others. Ubuntu Cinnamon was much slower than the rest of them.

I'm running Ubuntu 22.04 in vmware as my workstation at work, I used the server iso to install it.

Last edited:
If it doesn't work, it would be useful to see the error messages from the logs or perhaps a terminal, or at least a description of all steps taken which lead to the error. Also helpful would be a reference to the particular bug which is being referred to. Often there are both resolutions and workarounds to such issues, but one does need some precise details to locate issues so they can be addressed with the appropriate means.

The main alternative to vmware and virtualbox is KVM, which is actually native to linux with code in it's kernel making it both more efficient in virtualisation and faster. It's a really robust and mature software now and has very extensive usage in IT.

Members online