Linu Mint 19.1 Tessa

• Thread starter Deleted member 58530
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58530

Hello Linux.org,

I just install Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa Xfce (64 bit) and OOTB the install and updates and the additional software I installed worked without any issues or problems on my 2009 Frankenstein build desktop.

Code:
mdgcomputers@Intel-DG33BU:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Intel-DG33BU Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: MDGs product: N/A v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: Intel model: DG33BU v: AAD79951-407 serial: <filter> BIOS: Intel v: DPP3510J.86A.0572.2009.0715.2346
           date: 07/15/2009
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium Dual E2220 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: D L2 cache: 1024 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 9600
           Speed: 1200 MHz min/max: 1200/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1200 2: 1200
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1440x900~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 v: 1.4 Mesa 18.0.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-43-generic
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 20e0 bus ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 74.53 GiB used: 8.35 GiB (11.2%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD800AAJS-60M0A0 size: 74.53 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 72.86 GiB used: 8.35 GiB (11.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 160 Uptime: 1h 24m Memory: 3.78 GiB used: 765.5 MiB (19.8%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
           gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.27
mdgcomputers@Intel-DG33BU:~$

I have read mixed reviews from users on other forums although I can't find anything to complain about at this time of posting.

I think it's worthy of a test drive and should a user like it enough to install I would recommend a clean install and not an upgrade.

My 2 cents. :cool:

keep us posted @poorguy

I am most interested to hear how it performs for you

Hello Condobloke,

So far everything is working great and I have yet to experience any hiccups.

It feels like I'm still using Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce same old plain and simple user interface.

I honestly can't / haven't found anything to complain about it works great.:)

I have it setup as it installed OOTB although removed VLC (I hate VLC) and it has xplayer and xplayer is all I need.

I tweaked a few things using the "Easy Linux Tips Project".
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/

I have the update manager set to download all levels of available updates although I pick and choose the updates I want installed.

At this time of posting Linux Mint 19.1 Xfce is A-OK and I've no complaints.:)

Can't say how it will run on another users computer but it works great on the already posted old junk Frankenstein computer it's installed on.:)

For all who are interested in test driving give this a look at and follow the instructions.
https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-try-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc.20993/

Life is Good ;)

I have installed 19.1 in Cinnamon. Works great, some of the system windows are a tad different. Also, they have removed the screensavers, I don't like that, but it was in the upgrade notes so I knew that going in (Lesson here is to read upgrade notes before you decide to upgrade.). On other forums some people are outraged at the missing screensavers, but there is a hack to reinstall them. To me it isn't a big deal, and I think future upgrades will probably restore the screen savers.

Last edited:
Well if people want screen savers I believe there is a software program in the software manager although I'm uncertain of this.

I have my monitor set to turn off after 15 minutes of no activity and also unless you are using a crt monitor a screensaver isn't needed.

It is a good idea to RTFM and all of the RELEASE NOTES prior to making any changes to any Linux distro.

I'm an OOTB user so no complaints about Linux Mint 19.1 XFce.

I believe some folks like to complain about anything they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the MATE edition, and I note that they have taken to showing movement of the cursor insertion point with sudo password entry:

2NNzf0S.png

Not sure I am too happy about that.

Wiz

Yea I don't see a reason to upgrade yet as security should still be good for few more years on 18.3.
Exactly there is no reason to upgrade to a new Linux version Linux Mint 18.3 still offers support until 2021.

I plan on using Linux Mint 18 until EOL in 2021 as I'm happy with it although I like testing the new releases.

I like the first release versions as they run a real LTS kernel and not a HWE stack kernel which for my old computers always has worked without issues or problems.

If you have a working Linux Mint 18.3 version and are happy with it than there is no reason to upgrade to a new Linux version imo.

Running LM 18.3 currently....and have done since it was released.

Whats not to like ?

Stable, reliable, dare I say.....Boring.

Just the way I like it.

@wizardfromoz ""Not sure I am too happy about that."".....re password no longer being completely invisible.......I must admit that makes me just a tad edgy as well.

Boring is good, I love boring.

Boring is predictable and everything that Condobloke said in post #9.

I believe in staying with a sure thing.

I am using the MATE edition, and I note that they have taken to showing movement of the cursor insertion point with sudo password entry

If you scroll down to the comments in this link, you will find a command to disable this "feature." (It is simply renaming a file.) There is also an explanation from the Mint developer, Clem, regarding their decision about it. Tessa Cinnamon Edition has the same behavior.

Cheers

I also upgrade to 19.1 "Tessa" so far everything going well. I use MATE edition on a Dell laptop.

Well 13 days later and all is very well with Linux Mint 19.1 Xfce zero complaints.

The asterisks in the command terminal I just ignore although seem to bother other users.

Linux Mint 19.1 appears to be an excellent improvement over Linux Mint 19.0 imo.

Figured I would report back on this Linux distro. :cool:

The asterisks in the command terminal I just ignore although seem to bother other users.

Regarding asterisk, I read a lot of comments.
Let’s be realistic we are talking for a distro that is gone be used by personal machines, most probably in the safety of our houses.
Nobody will check over our shoulders, trying to steal our passwords. As Clen (the developer) said all apps, mail services etc out there using asterisk.
I know that a tradition is broken but we have to move forward. :);)

Exactly some of us old farts hate change and refuse to accept it I'm guilty of it at times. o_O:rolleyes::oops::p:D

I look at them as an indicator of the password being written.

The security threat is sitting in front of the monitor and using the keyboard.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts