Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

NdR.gif

He's talking about why Linux desktop sucks for non-technical users but the video was originally made 7 years ago because it says "DebConf14 Portland" on the Poster next to Linus.

He's talking about why Linux desktop sucks for non-technical users but the video was originally made 7 years ago because it says "DebConf14 Portland" on the Poster next to Linus.
Yeah, I've seen that video many times over the years. His argument has not changed though. Application developers still have the very same issue he was ranting about.

Not to mention one of the main reasons I never event attempted to use Debian on the desktop.

As @JasKinasis said, Linux can be standardized but never be homogenized. According to developers, there's far more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
As @JasKinasis said, Linux can standardized but never homogenized. According to developers, there's far more than one way to skin a cat.
heh Linux did standardize. That's what LSB was. (Linux Standard Base) ...yet @JasKinasis is right.

After 20+ years, I've basically already lost hope in Linux on the desktop. I mean it's usable, but it will never match what Windows and OSX produce because Linux on the desktop is unable to come together into a standardized collective of software.

Hell, at least Monty Python became an Autonomous Collective. lol Love me some Monty Python.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts