Linux and chrome

Garth

Reaction score
Credits
Good day, I am desperate for some help please. Been watching DSTV on Chrome for about 2yrs now with Linux Mint. About 2weeks ago Dstv stopped working on their site. They tell me the problem is my laptop. I update regulary using the update manager. When I stream on othe sites like netflix etc all is good, just dstv? Not sure if something happened with an update? Any advice will be appreciated.

Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,
We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.
Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz

Hi @Garth All i know is DSTV is a southern African streaming service, I have scowled their site but can find no information on system requirements .
so two basic questions
Is your version of Chrome up to date ?
Have you tried a different web browser?

Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,
We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.
Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz

Hi @Garth All i know is DSTV is a southern African streaming service, I have scowled their site but can find no information on system requirements .
so two basic questions
Is your version of Chrome up to date ?
Have you tried a different web browser?
Hi Bwiz, thanks for your reply, yes I am in South Africa and yes I have tried different browser with the same problem. However if I use my wifes laptop running windows it works ( Never want to revert to windows or any Microsoft Product again, LOL). Used to work on mine pefectly until about 2weeks ago thats why im wondering if maybe a setting on a linux update may have triggered it. Also suddenly Recapture keeps coming up.

Last edited:
Never want to revert to windows or any Microsoft Product again,
Me neither

there was a chrome update last week to version 91.0.4472.114
Oh and all these streaming services do not like cookie and add blockers if you have either/both try turning them off
I have no problem streaming in the UK with either chrome or firefox and as the technology is the basically the same I am at a loss what may be the problem..
whilst we wait for anyone else to come along with more experience of streaming

Bwiz

Me neither

there was a chrome update last week to version 91.0.4472.114
Oh and all these streaming services do not like cookie and add blockers if you have either/both try turning them off
I have no problem streaming in the UK with either chrome or firefox and as the technology is the basically the same I am at a loss what may be the problem..
whilst we wait for anyone else to come along with more experience of streaming

Bwiz
Lenovo Ideapad 110. Linux Mint not sure how to find the exact distro, am a bit dumb

Lenovo Ideapad 110. Linux Mint not sure how to find the exact distro, am a bit dumb
Open your terminal
Code:
cat /etc/*-release
this will tell your release
you also may need to upgrade your codecs
Code:
sudo apt install libavcodec-extra ffmpeg
and make sure your browser can play DRM content - on Firefox you have to enable it - I do not know about Chrome but think it is already enabled by default

Last edited by a moderator:
garth@garth-Lenovo-ideapad-110-15IBR:~$ cat /etc/*-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=ulyssa
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa"
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="20.1 (Ulyssa)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 20.1"
VERSION_ID="20.1"
HOME_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
VERSION_CODENAME=ulyssa
UBUNTU_CODENAME=focal
cat: /etc/upstream-release: Is a directory
garth@garth-Lenovo-ideapad-110-15IBR:~$

This is all I get. Have cleared cookies and ad blocker too

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-06-23 19-43-11.png
    Screenshot from 2021-06-23 19-43-11.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 433
not sure how to find the exact distro, am a bit dumb
there are lots of terminal commands to get various information.. this one will tell you most things BUT do not copy/paste it anywhere as it can give too much info away.. so to find out about your machine personally in a terminal type inxi -Fnx and enter

Might want to check your IP address to make sure it is actually in South Africa I believe DSTV is Geo-restricted
This is all I get. Have cleared cookies and ad blocker too

IP is standard as it always was. Am not using a vpn at all. I give up drm is on both chrome and firefox and both dont wanna work. Guess i have to just use my wifes pc. Thank you guys. have a great evening

It seems to me that DSTV has enabled Verified Media Path on their Widevine server, and since the Linux kernel is not a verified media path, Linux users can't get a license and can't watch the content. Might want to check with DSTV and see if this is the case - hence the blank screen

It seems like somebody enabled Verified Media Path on their Widevine server, and since the Linux kernel is not a verified media path, Linux users can't get a license and can't watch the content. Might want to check with DSTV and see if this is the case - hence the blank screen
Thank you, will ask them

Hi Garth,
Did you have any joy with DStv in terms of obtaining a solution to this problem perhaps?
Hi there, sadly no. They are adament that the problem is with Linux. So typical. Am just using my wife's windows (reluctantly)

They are adament that the problem is with Linux
I had a similar problem the UK, trying to stream a live TV station. after many weeks and multiple e-mails I gave up, I only watched the occasional program anyway,

Members online

Latest posts