Linux compatible monitors

Kameran

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

I need to buy a monitor for my laptop running the latest release of xfce. I had a really difficult time finding a printer driver and don't want to go through the same thing with a monitor.

Can anybody recommend a monitor and/or a website with compatible monitors? My budget is 60-£180.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Kameran

HDMI, DVI, or VGA?

Linux doesn't really have "monitor drivers" per se.
It doesn't really matter what kind of monitor you have.

Linux does care about video cards (GPUs). The three most popular are nVidia, AMD Radeon,
and Intel HD. For the most part most of these work in most Linux distros. However.. not all.

I, personally, haven't seen compatibility problems with monitors. Like dos2unix said, it usually involves the video cards and their capabilities. For example, a desired resolution of 1440x900 may not prove possible, whereas a 1366x768 is more common and almost always possible.

Search on Linux HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) if more interested. Different distros may have their own.

Nowadays, Intel video drivers seem to have more issues than nVidia, which is a flip-flop from not so long ago.

The other popular connectors are Display Port, mini Display Port, and mini-HDMI.

Linux doesn't really have "monitor drivers" per se.
It doesn't really matter what kind of monitor you have.

Linux does care about video cards (GPUs). The three most popular are nVidia, AMD Radeon,
and Intel HD. For the most part most of these work in most Linux distros. However.. not all.

I have an Acer Aspire One Cloudbook (originally ran on Windows [10 I think]). Did some checking and found out that it has an:

"HD Graphics (Braswell) based on Intel Gen8 architecture, which supports DirectX 11.2 and is also found in the Broadwell series (e.g. HD Graphics 5300). Clock speed is 400-700Mhz. The GPU also supports 4K/H.265 video acceleration."

It seems to be a lower end GPU, but to be honest I have no way of knowing if it works for Linux?

It seems to be a lower end GPU, but to be honest I have no way of knowing if it works for Linux?

These will work fine with just about any modern Linux distro.

Other than a few televisions used as monitors, I've never heard of any name brand monitors that don't work with a PC/laptop running Linux. What I would be concerned with is the basic specs of the monitor itself. There can be a few weirdos, but those are usually not name brand.

I have an Acer monitor that I use with my desktop PC. Not the greatest specs, but it's fine.

I use two monitors...an Acer and a Samsung.....no drama with either one

I, personally, haven't seen compatibility problems with monitors. Like dos2unix said, it usually involves the video cards and their capabilities. For example, a desired resolution of 1440x900 may not prove possible, whereas a 1366x768 is more common and almost always possible.

Search on Linux HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) if more interested. Different distros may have their own.

Nowadays, Intel video drivers seem to have more issues than nVidia, which is a flip-flop from not so long ago.

Thank you for your help

Members online

Latest posts