Linux computer build help?

M

myfriends

Good morning my friends,

I want to invest in one of the linux computers but which one should I buy? I want to have an mITX motherboard system stable for linux. I have before tried linux mint and ubuntu on my old PC but kept experiencing crashes and now I want to make a computer dedicated only to linux. I'm basically going to use it for internet, viewing video some basic graphic gimp etc. The budget is not so important just that it can work steady with popular versions of Linux. Which parts should I use?

Any input would be appreciated.

Also much appreciated would be your own listing of hardware for your own stable linux builds!!

Instead of buying an pre-assembled system, I would check out the Linux Hardware Comparability lists, go online and purchase the parts to build my own.

With UEFI possibly locking out many Linux Distros with OEM's that kowtow to Mickey$oft, I am less likely to purchase any pre-built computer I intend to install and run Linux.

Check out:

Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers
LinuxQuestions.org Hardware List

Some Distros have their own lists, such as Debian, the only Distro I install and use.

A Google search will reveal others. Good Luck!

Thanks for your kind reply!

I have actually browsed quite a bit. I was thinking that if I could get examples from people already running stable builds it might save me some trouble. My old PCs parts for example are supposedly compatible with linux but in that configuration it still something not working correctly.

I will look further on these lists though, thanks a lot

in intel® compunter the "safty start can be off.and uefi is better than bios

Good morning my friends,

I want to invest in one of the linux computers but which one should I buy? I want to have an mITX motherboard system stable for linux. I have before tried linux mint and ubuntu on my old PC but kept experiencing crashes and now I want to make a computer dedicated only to linux. I'm basically going to use it for internet, viewing video some basic graphic gimp etc. The budget is not so important just that it can work steady with popular versions of Linux. Which parts should I use?

Any input would be appreciated.

Also much appreciated would be your own listing of hardware for your own stable linux builds!!
I have limited information regarding your request, I built my system to be a gaming computer, I am by no means a gamer. That being said, Mint 18.1 has been performing perfectly so far. Granted you want an mITX mobo , I don't know about that. I started with an Asus prime x-370 pro.I'm using the Amd Ryzen 7 1700 cpu. The mobo supports usb 3.1 and a fast M.2 slot.The ram is DDR4 running @ 2133mhz I put 32 gb ram in it (holds 64 gb). I chose the nvme (runs hotter but is faster) format of the m.2 as it is much faster, and that holds 512 gb. I loaded the Mint on the m.2 drive and it is lightening fast! I put this all in a corsair Vengeance case, The cooler for the cpu is a corsair H100i. The system is on for long hours everyday. Mint 18.1 is the only system on it and it is really quiet running.
I use the pc mostly for video's, research, an occasional game, and surfing. The corsair case was chosen for several reasons, I watched the video about it first to learn and I really like the ease of r&r for hard drives and other peripherals.
As for which pc to buy, I say build it your self. Purchase a quality anti-static strap and some nitrile gloves. You will have fun and learn lots in the process.
PS I purchased a 750 watt gold metal power supply, Thermaltake lets you plug in only the terminals you actually need. which brand is a mystery to me too.

I have limited information regarding your request, I built my system to be a gaming computer, I am by no means a gamer. That being said, Mint 18.1 has been performing perfectly so far. Granted you want an mITX mobo , I don't know about that. I started with an Asus prime x-370 pro.I'm using the Amd Ryzen 7 1700 cpu. The mobo supports usb 3.1 and a fast M.2 slot.The ram is DDR4 running @ 2133mhz I put 32 gb ram in it (holds 64 gb). I chose the nvme (runs hotter but is faster) format of the m.2 as it is much faster, and that holds 512 gb. I loaded the Mint on the m.2 drive and it is lightening fast! I put this all in a corsair Vengeance case, The cooler for the cpu is a corsair H100i. The system is on for long hours everyday. Mint 18.1 is the only system on it and it is really quiet running.
I use the pc mostly for video's, research, an occasional game, and surfing. The corsair case was chosen for several reasons, I watched the video about it first to learn and I really like the ease of r&r for hard drives and other peripherals.
As for which pc to buy, I say build it your self. Purchase a quality anti-static strap and some nitrile gloves. You will have fun and learn lots in the process.
PS I purchased a 750 watt gold metal power supply, Thermaltake lets you plug in only the terminals you actually need. which brand is a mystery to me too.
Which brand of PC to purchase, is a mystery to me:)

Welcome aboard, mate. Before you spend mucho dinara on a super system, you might consider trying something like "Linux lite", or "Puppy Linux" on that older system. Both have less overhead than something like Ubuntu or Mint, and may show you the full potential of your existing system, and can be run from the live CD or thumb drive, without installing, Puppy will run from ram. You can also use them to get accustomed to Linux before you decide on what hardware to buy. Both come with all the bells and whistles too! Just a thought:D.

Happy trails,
Paul

Members online

Latest posts