Linux computer help

NamTechnic

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,

I have never worked with linux to this day and therefore I am in trouble.

I have a linux-based pc belonging to a gaming machine. but somehow it says "etc/adjtime" file is readonly and it goes back to the beginning.
The computer automatically runs some programs at startup and then resets. How can I stop these programs from running (is there a shortcut like Ctrl + C). Also, how can I convert the file I mentioned from readonly mode to normal.

Since I have never used linux, is there a friend who can explain this to me in a simple and understandable way?

Thank you everyone in advance.

Hello @NamTechnic,
Welcome to Linux.org Forum.
In order to be of any real help we are going to need a bit more information.
1. We need to know which Linux distribution is installed?
2. Give us as much Information as you can about the Machine involved.
We are here to help. But need at a minimum the above information to continue.

In addition to what @kc1di has asked
you said
The computer automatically runs some programs at startup and then resets.
what applications start before it crashes [we call them applications, not programs]

Hello @NamTechnic,
Welcome to Linux.org Forum.
In order to be of any real help we are going to need a bit more information.
1. We need to know which Linux distribution is installed?
2. Give us as much Information as you can about the Machine involved.
We are here to help. But need at a minimum the above information to continue.
As I said before, I don't know anything about linux.
How can I see which version it is?
It does not give a chance to enter any commands. How can I stop the application running on the pc and switch to the command line so that I can enter commands.
Thank you for your helping effort.

In addition to what @kc1di has asked
you said

what applications start before it crashes [we call them applications, not programs]
Before the game opens, it makes various checks. Because one of the controls gives an error, it reboots the computer.

Thanks for your help.

Before you try to open any games, do you get a desktop ? IF you do can you open a terminal [usually a black icon with either $> or $_ or #> in it] now copy and paste inxi -Fnxxz and enter, then copy the full results back to this page [depending on which distribution you may have to install inxi from the software manager]. This will tell us about your machine and its main components and the distribution and build of your Linux

if you do not get a desktop be quick before it has time to crash and push together Ctrl+Alt+T this should force a terminal to open

Before you try to open any games, do you get a desktop ? IF you do can you open a terminal [usually a black icon with either $> or $_ or #> in it] now copy and paste inxi -Fnxxz and enter, then copy the full results back to this page [depending on which distribution you may have to install inxi from the software manager]. This will tell us about your machine and its main components and the distribution and build of your Linux

if you do not get a desktop be quick before it has time to crash and push together Ctrl+Alt+T this should force a terminal to open
I will try what you said and share with you here.

Thanks for your help.

If the above has not worked, try switching off the machine then switch on whilst holding down the grub boot show key [now this will depend on the age and make of the machine [motherboard] If it is under 10 yrs old it should be EUFI so press and hold down the Esc key whilst switching on if it is over 10 yrs it may have a BIOS in which case try press and hold shift whilst switching on.
This should bring up the grub screen
it will have several options select the one that says advanced options [or similar], click and open, scroll down the list to repair broken packages click on and let it run, it should stop with the message **** extra space will be used press enter, when it has finished re-boot and see if it now works,
If not, it may need to have the Linux distribution re-installed

Unfortunately Ctrl + Alt + T didn't do any good. The system displayed the ^[ ^T icon and then continued. Rebooted the system again.

Thanks for your help.

If the above has not worked, try switching off the machine then switch on whilst holding down the grub boot show key [now this will depend on the age and make of the machine [motherboard] If it is under 10 yrs old it should be EUFI so press and hold down the Esc key whilst switching on if it is over 10 yrs it may have a BIOS in which case try press and hold shift whilst switching on.
it will have several options select the one that says advanced options [or similar], click and open, scroll down the list to repair broken packages click on and let it run, it should stop with the message **** extra space will be used press enter, when it has finished re-boot and see if it now works,
Unfortunately, the Esc or Shift keys didn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Also unfortunately we don't have a chance to reinstall linux.

Thanks for your help.

Well without more info it's going to be difficult to diagnose the problem.
If this was a coinop machine who know what they may have used. As I see it right now your only option would be to contact the original owner and find out what Linux was used on the machine. Or do a complete reinstall of a good linux system
you can find several on the download section of this Forum. Or go to Distrowatch and download one from there then burn it to usb or DVD which ever the machine in quest will boot from. Most Distro offer live .ISOs so you can test them out before installing.
In fact you may be able to use a live linux session to troubleshoot what your have.
It is very doubtful that the /etc/adjtime file is the problem.

The computer says ok to all controls and only says that the etc/adjtime file is read-only and will reboot with that. All systems I use are windows, so I could not interfere with the file. I downloaded the "ext2explore" software and connected the disk to my own computer. I can see the disk contents, but it won't allow me to intervene. Do you have a recommendation for a program/application with which I can edit the disk under Windows?

Is this a dual boot where windows is on one partition and Linux on another?
What is the make and model of the linux Machine?
Or if not a dual boot machine how do you intend to access the Linux machine with your windows machine?
What your telling us is not making a lot of sense. Please give us as much information as you can about the setup your using.

Unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea about the installed linux system. Also, I don't have a chance to install linux again, because I lose the application inside and the machine won't work. I am in correspondence with the manufacturer, but I am not very hopeful.
That's why I'm trying to recover the system.

Thanks for your help.

to
Unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea about the installed linux system. Also, I don't have a chance to install linux again, because I lose the application inside and the machine won't work. I am in correspondence with the manufacturer, but I am not very hopeful.
That's why I'm trying to recover the system.

Thanks for your help.
Do you at least know the make and model of the machine?

because I lose the application inside and the machine won't work
So if this is a gaming machine, you will probably not have an accessible grub , With my limited knowledge of arcade type machines it will have some form of multi pin connector on the main board to which the engineer would connect his Linux laptop [with the right software] to update/repair the system. Other options may be look to purchase a working re-claimed main board from another machine.

So if this is a gaming machine, you will probably not have an accessible grub , With my limited knowledge of arcade type machines it will have some form of multi pin connector on the main board to which the engineer would connect his Linux laptop [with the right software] to update/repair the system. Other options may be look to purchase a working re-claimed main board from another machine.
A normal pc is used, but instead of standard HDD, 2GB Compact Flash is used.
On other systems, I solve the problem 90%, but when it comes to linux, I get stuck.
I hope the manufacturer provides software support.

Thanks for your help.

Staff online

Members online