Linux distro for better graphic or better video editing?

aexlarry

Reaction score
Credits
Is there such a thing for better graphic or better video editing of a specific Linux Distro?

There's an Ubuntu Studio that's meant for content creators.

You don't need special distribution for video editing because you can install the software you need on any distribution.

The only difference a distribution may make is the ease of installing the hardware support for video encoding, not only in the system, but also in the applications and encoders like ffmpeg.

This, of course, if you’re talking about video editing.

After a few years on Debian I switched to Manjaro for that reason. Installing the hardware support in the system means just to install a package, and all the applications are built with those enabled.

Not only the distro but the kernel. You see, this is more with audio but audio is part of video, you need to have either a very low-latency kernel as per Manjaro or a realtime kernel (which can cause a lockup , but that's mostly fear mongering).
Problem is the prats at nVidia thought "fck you Linux users" and not only are their proprietary drivers incompatible with RT kernels, but their drivers add latency (source: went from an RX460 to a GTX 1650). This is likely why @gvisoc recommended Manjaro. My Debian machine is not fit for audio, I do it on my Manjaro laptop. Manjaro strikes a good balance. That said, @KGIII's suggestion is probably best if you're new and are not running nVidia proprietary drivers, since Ubuntu Studio is specially for content creators so it has been fine-tuned with all the right settings and pre-installed apps, whereas Manjaro is general purpose and, IMHO, the only Desktop Linux for gamers (who don't have time for Arch -- which is 99% of them, which is why about 90% run Windows).

Members online