Linux Distro for Java developer

Nangabhukha

Reaction score
Credits
I am Java developer window user for long time and would like to switch to Linux.

Which is best linux disro for a Java developer?

Literally any distro. It makes no difference whatsoever.

It doesn't matter what programming languages you develop in - pretty much all distros have the same, wide-reaching range of development tools available in their software repositories.

So it doesn't really matter what distro you choose. Just pick one and you should be able to get up and running in no time. AFAIK no distros have java pre-installed. So you'd have to install either openjdk or the oracle jdk from the repos. But it doesn't matter which Linux distro you choose. If you are a developer - just install any of them. Then install whatever tools you need to develop software using your chosen language and start coding.
There's not really a lot more to it!

Literally any distro. It makes no difference whatsoever.

It doesn't matter what programming languages you develop in - pretty much all distros have the same, wide-reaching range of development tools available in their software repositories.

So it doesn't really matter what distro you choose. Just pick one and you should be able to get up and running in no time. AFAIK no distros have java pre-installed. So you'd have to install either openjdk or the oracle jdk from the repos. But it doesn't matter which Linux distro you choose. If you are a developer - just install any of them. Then install whatever tools you need to develop software using your chosen language and start coding.
There's not really a lot more to it!

Thanks
I just want Java Developers opinion on what they use in real world.

Thanks
I just want Java Developers opinion on what they use in real world.
Well, if it makes any difference - I'm a professional developer. I mostly use C, C++, and assembly. But I also use Java, Kotlin, Scala, Python, Ruby and more.

For maximum availability of packages and ease of install/use, you might want to consider something that is either Debian-based, or Fedora/Red-hat-based.

Other than that - it really doesn't matter what distro you install. As long as it isn't anything too obscure, or that has a more limited selection of packages - you should be fine with virtually any distro.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts