linux for 2 years old :)

mefi135

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
My son is 2 years old and I want to prepare linux for him. All linux versions I found are no longer supported. The laptop has an old x86 processor and 2gb ram. linux must have games for young children or the ability to install such games (I do not know where to find them) and the ability to play smooth youtube. of course an interface that will be easy for him to use :)

Hi,
My son is 2 years old and I want to prepare linux for him. All linux versions I found are no longer supported. The laptop has an old x86 processor and 2gb ram. linux must have games for young children or the ability to install such games (I do not know where to find them) and the ability to play smooth youtube. of course an interface that will be easy for him to use :)
https://www.sugarlabs.org/

Welcome to the forums
Emmabuntus is designed to run on 32&64 bit machines it is an educational distribution [mainly for third world countries] has a fair few games and educational programs..WARNING it is a big download, due to the number of drivers for old kit included.

With sugarlab vs usual linux Desktop there are arguments for both sides. Sugar labs just has icons and it suggested thats the optimum. However optimum for which kids though?

It transpired that the child of the main lead had some element of learning difficulty and thats why icons were good. My expereince in Ghana with kids is that with peers helping them, it takes no time at all for them to navigate around a typical linux menu. Age 2 though is really young. For games : GCompris

Welcome to the forums
Emmabuntus is designed to run on 32&64 bit machines it is an educational distribution [mainly for third world countries] has a fair few games and educational programs..WARNING it is a big download, due to the number of drivers for old kit included.
That distro is made for the 3rd world.

Yes I said that, but it is also designed as an educational distribution for children of all ages and abilities

Trisquel Linux has a version called Trisquel Sugar TOAST which is a lightweight distro and it has mainly designed for children and interactive learning. It could be a good point to start from.

Trisquel Linux has a version called Trisquel Sugar TOAST which is a lightweight distro and it has mainly designed for children and interactive learning. It could be a good point to start from.
Start with that and see how it goes.

i note that its been mentioned it involves a big download; therefore having a lot of experience in the 3rd world ; it wasn't properly thought through since the 3rd world has extreme limitations on being able to download anything.

@BoringZombie
the reason it is a big download, it is developed for use on old donated kit so has drivers for almost everything from the pentium 1 upwards, plus the educational programs,

HI
Thank you all for the answers. I will have to test all. I did not expect such quick responses. I know that everyone has their own opinion, so I have to install a system myself, the problem is that the processor is A4-1250 1ghz. Ram 4gb ram is ok but the processor will have a problem.

Staff online