Linux for Education: Best Distributions for Kids, Teachers & Schools

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits

That was a good article, had not heard of some of those spins in the past. Retired now so not of much use to me but will pass it along to my Daughter and Daughter in law who both teach. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! I'm a teacher, so I did find it interesting. I've tried Endless and Sugar before. I also use Tuxtrans, which is for translators, though just found the project is no longer active https://www.uibk.ac.at/tuxtrans/ last version was based on Ubuntu 20.04.

Debian Edu/Skolelinux is an operating system intended for educational use and a Debian Pure Blend . As skole [skuːlə] is the Norwegian word for school, Skolelinux's literal translation is "school linux". It has been created as an overall free software computer solution designed to fit to schools' resources and needs, and is currently being developed by a large and growing international community.
Skolelinux provides a terminal server environment suitable to most educational scenarios, and comes with most services pre-configured out-of-the-box.

Not a distro but Kolibri is pretty cool.

Not to be left out: Kiwix
Kiwix lets you access free knowledge – even offline

Very interesting

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)

I just bumped into this article/post https://itsfoss.com/educational-linux-distros/ while checking my feed, and thought of sharing here.
An excerpt:

When I was younger, I struggled with sticking to one career path (and still do to some extent), which led to my friend at the time calling me "a jack-of-all trades, but a master of none". That being said, I at one point wanted to become a special education teacher, because a number of the teachers I had were these "get-paid-to-play-teacher" types. I even had a goal of wanting to redesign how school systems worked by opening a private school, and using it as a vehicle for social change. However, I later realized that school itself is pointless when a community of adults with skill sets could educate children instead. That led me wanting to hire a software developer to create software where parents and children could connect to adults who'd be willing to teach, and children could connect to their peers to form study groups or to socialize. If I had the money, I would've hired that developer already.

Moving onto Linux being used for education, I'd LOVE to see children learn how to take apart a Linux distro or FOSS and put it back together, because then they're learning valuable skills at a young age, and makes them more-likely to have a high IQ when they're older. If they manage to create successful software when they're in their teens, and get notoriety as a result, that opens up so many doors for them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice that Endless OS is first one the list. Not too many folks seem to know it exists, but it's packed full of stuff for kids and learning material. It's a huge download and large install, the largest I've played with among the Linux family, and ran pretty well when I played with it a while back. I kinda plan on doing a review of it, just to get the name out there more.

When I was younger, I struggled with sticking to one career path (and still do to some extent), which led to my friend at the time calling me "a jack-of-all trades, but a master of none". That being said, I at one point wanted to become a special education teacher, because a number of the teachers I had were these "get-paid-to-play-teacher" types. I even had a goal of wanting to redesign how school systems worked by opening a private school, and using it as a vehicle for social change. However, I later realized that school itself is pointless when a community of adults with skill sets could educate children instead. That led me wanting to a software developer to create software where parents and children could connect to adults who'd be willing to teach, and children could connect to their peers to form study groups or to socialize. If I had the money, I would've hired that developer already.

Moving onto Linux being used for education, I'd LOVE to see children learn how to take apart a Linux distro or FOSS and put it back together, because then they're learning valuable skills at a young age, and makes them more-likely to have a high IQ when they're older. If they manage to create successful software when they're in their teens, and get notoriety as a result, that opens up so many doors for them. :D

Take a look at this github list:

The Debian edu distro has a ton of programming programs.
Here is a list from doing apt search debian | grep edu
Most if not all of them are metapackages.
Code:
debian-edu-artwork/unstable,unstable 2.11.6-1 all
debian-edu-artwork-buster/unstable,unstable 2.11.6-1 all
debian-edu-artwork-homeworld/unstable,unstable 2.11.6-1 all
debian-edu-artwork-softwaves/unstable,unstable 2.11.6-1 all
debian-edu-artwork-spacefun/unstable,unstable 20201210-3 all
debian-edu-config/unstable,unstable 2.11.56 all
debian-edu-doc-da/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-de/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-en/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-es/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-fr/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-it/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-ja/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-en/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-fr/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-ja/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-nb-no/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-nl/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-pl/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-pt-br/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-pt-pt/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-sv/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-uk/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-legacy-zh-cn/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-nb/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
  transitional package for debian-edu-doc-nb-no
debian-edu-doc-nb-no/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-nl/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-pt-pt/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-doc-zh/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
  transitional package for debian-edu-doc-zh-cn
debian-edu-doc-zh-cn/unstable,unstable 2.11.26 all
debian-edu-install/unstable,unstable 2.11.13 all
education-astronomy/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-chemistry/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-common/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-cinnamon/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-gnome/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-kde/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-lxde/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-lxqt/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-mate/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-other/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-desktop-xfce/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-development/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
  Debian Edu software development related educational applications
education-electronics/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-geography/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-graphics/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-highschool/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-language/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
  Debian Edu language related educational applications
education-laptop/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-logic-games/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-ltsp-server/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-main-server/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-mathematics/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-menus/unstable,unstable 2.11.37 all
education-misc/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
  Debian Edu miscellaneous applications for education
education-music/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-networked/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-networked-common/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-physics/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-preschool/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-primaryschool/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-roaming-workstation/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-secondaryschool/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-standalone/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-tasks/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-thin-client/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-video/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
education-workstation/unstable 2.11.37 arm64
games-education/unstable,unstable 4 all
  Debian's educational games
junior-education/unstable,unstable 1.29 all
  Debian Jr. education applications
  Debian Jr. educational math

Last edited:
Edubuntu was an official spin for a while. It was discontinued due to lack of participation/contribution and some inner politics. The latter I've only understood at the surface level, as it's occasionally mentioned in the dev channels. Nobody has ever gone into the details in the public chat.

It was also around the time (there was ample warning) that it was decided 32 bit would be discontinued in the future, but putting those two together is pure speculation on my part.

There are a number of distros that suit the same purpose. If I were to recommend one now, it'd probably be Endless OS.

Members online