Linux for older windows smartphones

VanillaCoffee

Reaction score
Credits
I have a couple of old Windows phones and there not too bad.

The only thing holding them back is the operating system as Micro$haft cut support for these devices some time ago so nothing really works on them and I've been wondering if it was possible if there was a way of flashing them to Linux?

The first phone is a Nokia Lumia 635 (RM-974)
The second phone is a Nokia Lumia 435 (RM-1071)

Would it be possible to get Linux onto either of these?

m$ phones didn't last long...no surprises there.
m0118.gif

Might be easier to buy an Android phone and get a phone with modern features and a warranty...not to mention the updates too.
m1212.gif

m$ phones didn't last long...no surprises there.
m0118.gif

Might be easier to buy an Android phone and get a phone with modern features and a warranty...not to mention the updates too.
m1212.gif
I have an old Nokia 3310 which does me fine. I also have an Android phone but I don't really use it. The two Windows phones I just thought maybe something creative could be done with them to make them useful I'm sure there must be a way of getting something on to them, it says Linux don't support these models, if Android x86 can be installed on a PC then why can't Android or Linux be installed to a smartphone...? there must be something even if a patch needs to be installed before Linux. I just like making tech re-usable.

I have an old Nokia 3310 which does me fine.
Crikey. I haven't seen a 3310 for, like, 20 years? Of course, the battery packs for these are still commonly available.....the BL-5C, I believe. Kudos for still keeping one going!

I know nothing about smartphones - don't possess one, myself - but from what little I know about it, re-purposing a smartphone with a different OS revolves around re-flashing their ROM chips (NOT RAM). This is where the OS is held, if I'm correct. My guess is that it depends on whether said ROM chip is supported by the re-flashing process. I assume they're all different, & "proprietary" to the individual manufacturer.

I believe you also need to "root" your phone before this can be attempted..?

Others will no doubt correct me on this.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
About old Nokia 3310 phones: feels me nostalgic.

I myself had a couple of this phones. And acording to my personal knowledge it was one of the most realable and easy phones( withouth any unessesarly hassel).
You just push a button,and the phone worked.

Not not compare to all new modern smartphones( and tablets)- wich is totaly controlled by some companies( mostly Google).
As what already someone had mentined about this technology is that you don't have any impact of how to control; it's rather the opposite where Google dictates of when and you are trusted to use their services.

But now matter the facts.

As everybody knows that this classic is for many years discounted; and so is it with spare parts.
Mostly batteries.

I myself bought a replacment battery for this phone( original from Nokia), but what came as an dissapointment for me is that this battery ruined my phone.
Because however when the phone was new it was provided with NIMH- Battery,but it was replaced with Litium cells.

As everybody knows it's impossibel to mix different battery chemistry with eachother.
Since a Litium battery has a much higher energy ( in denisty/ cell), and also a different Voltage (aprox 3V, compared to 1.2V).

So this also mean that there is a different charging techniqe for this.
Because however a NIMH- Cell is charged with aprox 2-3V, but a Litium cell is charged with 5V( min. Dependig if it's a singel or series).

So what happed for me was: 1. The screen was much brigher 2. That I coudn't charge the battery with the original charger( and also that it was impossibel to charge any battery)

Believe it or not...you can buy a nokia 8210 4G...I'm not making this up...was released last year but when you look at the specs it's still 1999 and not worth the price. You're better off putting the money you'd waste on this phone towards a smartphone.
m1212.gif

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8210_4g-11666.php

That would make sense about the ROM chips not being able to be re-flashed there junky phones anyway so I don't mind ruining them by experimenting with flashing them etc. Its all for science.

Interesting read about the Nokia 3310 batteries luckily I've only ever used new old stock original NIMH- Batteries when restoring them. China are making NIMH- batteries for these so if you needed a new battery you can still order them. The Nokia 3310 is one of the iconic phones and its all coming back in 2023 along with all the fashion and dance music I also have the Nokia 3220 still in perfect working order that I bought from Woolworths back in 2004 and its used almost daily along with my Nokia 3310. The battery on my Nokia 3220 was last replaced in 2008 and its still going with 3 standby days worth of charge.

Latest posts