Linux for Pentium III 700mHz / 480 MB Ram

Witzker

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I found an old PC
I'm new with Linux
I'm looking for an easy installation with possibly many already included Apps ready to use.
e.g. browser, office, and what You think is useful to get most out of the old machine.

Or is it just Garbage?

What do you think?

I'm looking for an easy installation with possibly many already included Apps ready to use.

Good luck on that one! Seriously, it won't be 'easy' in the Windows sense. But it will be free.
Tiny Core comes to mind. All software must be chosen and installed manually.
Puppy Slacko with external sfs (i.e. LibreOffice) files may be feasible, too. Slacko 6.3.0
Don't even think about 64bit!
Take a look at this old LO post, first. Then decide. Then come back here.

Or is it just Garbage?

Send more hardware info

Could you economically increase the amount of RAM?

antiX? It's adviced as being capable of running on a Pentium III
It should run on most computers, ranging from 256MB old PIII systems with pre-configured swap to the latest powerful boxes. 256MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. The installer needs minimum 4.0GB hard disk size.
https://antixlinux.com/about/ Has 4 editions; Full, base, core and net https://antixlinux.com/antix-19-isos-available/. The full and base come with some software pre-installed; full ships with a huge range: office suite, Gimp, lucky backup and some more. Base has fewer apps installed. The core and net have no desktops but text mode only and are meant for you to build the system up to your heart's content.

THX so far
No I cannot put more RAM inside
It surely has only 32 architecture
Win 98 SE was installed
Surely 20 years old
Do You need mor infos?

Do a search similar to "linux old laptop pc" and you'll find pages like this one. Everyone has an opinion on this subject, including Google.

For now, why not SliTaz?

Try something and get back to us, OP!

Wow that is old hardware. I did run Ubuntu Budgie 32bit on an old HP mini but it wasn't quite that ancient. You could try the lightweight distro I mentioned but I wonder if you graphics card as much as your CPU is not going to be an issue for anything but a very bare bones OS. I'd take a look on Youtube they offer a range of good reviews of light linux options.

@wizardfromoz & OP: absolute is currently 64bit only, it seems.

Another 32bit Slackware distro is slightly dated, but I ran it a few or more years ago on a P4 and liked its perfomance -- Salix-openbox-14.1 -- if OP wants something more than Puppy or SliTaz or Porteus. . .

When you gonna DO something, OP?

When you gonna DO something, OP?

;) patience, friend - it's less than 4 days, and some still have to work if COVID has not shut them down.

we have had members go 6 months before coming back to us.

wiz

Alright -- I'm chillin' for a while!

Many THX for your suggestions.
Will there also be an browser that makes sense to use?
Or schould i go for DOS & old Games ( but i don't know HowTo)

Browser wise - like what OS you choose will require trial and error.

You won't be able to browse much in the way of graphic intensive browsing - just general browsing - so Dillo above and netsurf gtk

i once ran Pentium II aluminum cased ex-military Panasonic toughbook using Antix

I believe you will need to have a processor with SSE2 instruction capability's to run any modern browser.

Members online

Latest posts