Linux Free version

D

Don Jeong

I want to install Linux free version.
Which one is popular version?
Is Ubunto the most popular linux free version?
Is the Red Hat Linux a free version?

If you want a free Redhat Linux use Fedora or Centos.
Linux Mint as it has the codecs.
LinuxBBQ is also a great distro to learn from.

If you would like to try any of these I'll provide links.

I want to install Linux free version.
Which one is popular version?
Is Ubunto the most popular linux free version?
Is the Red Hat Linux a free version?
Most of the Distros of Linux are free with the exception of Red Hat Enterprise, and Suse Entrprise versions. Free alternatives for these two are:

• CentOS, a almost full replacement for RHE
  • Fedora, Red Hat's Open Source version
  • Opensuse, Suse's Open Source version.
I would go to Distrowatch to see, first, the top ten Distros, and then if you wish, loot at all the other Distros available.

I would stick with one from the top ten.

Thanks for kind answer.
I'd like try Red Hat's Open Source version.
Could you please let me know the download site?

I wonder..... Do you mean Free as in "Freedom", or free as in "free Beer".....? :)

I wonder..... Do you mean Free as in "Freedom", or free as in "free Beer".....? :)
If you are looking for Distro that is "FREE" as in both "Beer" and "Freedom", then you need to look at the list over at the GNU/FSF Site.

Don't look for the big names here. Also, I would expect problems with some hardware drivers such as WiFi drivers.

For most people, I would highly recommend one of the Distros from the Distrowatch, Top Ten list. Yes, you will probably need some "non-free" software packages. Until all hardware manufacturers release "Free" versions of their hardware drivers, we, in the real world, will have to live with this compromise. The push towards "Open Source Hardware" will also give us alternatives in the future.

I myself, have no problem with installing and using Debian, with non-free WiFi drivers when needed.

Last edited:
I've seen that before..... :) I wanna try out Trisquel..... :3 But migrating from one OS to another can be time-consuming....... :( But yeah..... It would be nice if Hardware Engineers would play nice..... It's the reason why I can't use Wi-Fi on my ASUS, so I'm stickin' with Windows..... :) I sure hope I can get a new Charger for my Chromebook soon..... :3

Hi,
i have an old Mac power PC, and i was wondering if is there anyway out to bring it back to life. the last version installed on this machine is mac OS 10.4.11, but i really think it would be much better if i find a Linux distro to get it installed instead of aforementioned OS. would you please help, thanks.
MAC power pc
CPU 800 MHZ
RAM 1500 MB
HDD 60 GB
ODD
USB 1.0/2

Hi,
i have an old Mac power PC, and i was wondering if is there anyway out to bring it back to life. the last version installed on this machine is mac OS 10.4.11, but i really think it would be much better if i find a Linux distro to get it installed instead of aforementioned OS. would you please help, thanks.
MAC power pc
CPU 800 MHZ
RAM 1500 MB
HDD 60 GB
ODD
USB 1.0/2
You should have submitted this as a new thread.

I have installed Ubuntu many times and is really easy, great, light and flexible! I started from the scratch with zero linux knowledge.

I have installed UBUNTU 14.04 through VM, i have to admit it, more i use it, more i love it!

Exactly! What ever you need, you can find an open source software instead. You can also modify it like a Mac desktop or Windows etc, without losing linux power features.

Exactly! What ever you need, you can find an open source software instead. You can also modify it like a Mac desktop or Windows etc, without losing linux power features.
Hi, you are absolutely right.
thanks!

Members online