Linux game server

I

Irish614

Hey all, my clan decided we wanted to start our own gaming server. We bought a linux server from Hetzner online. We got a CentOS 6.3 minimal 64-bit. I have put a "vanilla" battlefield 2 game on there currently. However it does not show up as an online server. Someone said it could be from a firewall blocking it? I have never setup a server before so this is my good ol college try. I am familiar with computers I design websites and repair/troubleshoot them. Windows platforms are my specialty not Linux. Any help you guys can offer I would appreciate very much.

Hey all, my clan decided we wanted to start our own gaming server. We bought a linux server from Hetzner online. We got a CentOS 6.3 minimal 64-bit. I have put a "vanilla" battlefield 2 game on there currently. However it does not show up as an online server. Someone said it could be from a firewall blocking it? I have never setup a server before so this is my good ol college try. I am familiar with computers I design websites and repair/troubleshoot them. Windows platforms are my specialty not Linux. Any help you guys can offer I would appreciate very much.

You say you have "put" a game on there, how did you install it? Did you configure it to listen to the correct IP address and on the correct ports? There seem to be a number of config files you need to edit to achieve this, there is some help at tutorials.section6.net for this, just google "battlefield 2 server requirements"

I assume you have a root shell - from this, you can find out if you have an active firewall on the MACHINE with:

Code:
iptables -L

If you get back the following response, there is no firewall running at server level (however it's really not a good idea - you should lock down everything that isn't needed to be open):

Code:
iptables -L 
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

So if you are getting no response either Hetzner are firewalling it at the edge network level or your game server is not running.

I believe the server listens on port 16567. Check it's listening with:

Code:
lsof -i :16567

If no lines are listed, your server ain't runnin!

Members online